Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Day 106: Animal Kingdom Lodge

Since I'm technically writing this on the 17th of April (Remember...I was at FBLA and had absolutely no time or internet access), I decided to look back to the Daily History for ideas on what to write this post on (when you have 5 days to write...it gets a little daunting).

So, in preparation, here's today's Disney History: 2001: Disney World's newest resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge, opens at Osceola Parkway. The six-story resort features deluxe facilities and luxury suites with the feel of a South African game reserve lodge. A midst at 33-acre wildlife preserve, guests can gaze on any of more than 30 species of wildlife on display from the comfort of their balconies! The savannas are special areas built specifically for the AKL and are separate from the nearby theme park Disney's Animal Kingdom.


I, first of all, can't believe that this lovely resort is already 12 years old. That seems like much to old...but I suppose it's true. I've been lucky enough to stay at the resort once, back in 2008, and it was a great experience. I'd love to stay there again, only in Kidani Village, but at least I stayed there once, right? Then again, in July we'll have stayed at my brother's resort of choice, the Contemporary, so I think it's my turn to pick...although I'm perfectly happy with a room at Bay Lake Tower (I loved being able to be so connected to the parks, food and everything. That's a luxury you don't really have at Old Key West...although I'd really love to stay at the Beach Club...but that's another post).

I think my personal favorite thing about Animal Kingdom Lodge is the same as every one else's...the animals! It's amazing to be able to look out your window in the morning and see real live giraffes...and not have to go half way around the world to experience it! I still have an animal guide somewhere from when we went too...although I don't think we marked any animals off on it just so we could keep the piece itself.



But I can't have a post about AKL without mentioning one other thing...Zebra Domes. If you haven't been to Boma, or haven't picked some of these up in the Mara...hurry your way over there because you haven't ever experienced the best dessert in the history of the universe. Zebra Domes are by far my favorite dessert from anywhere on property, and I always have to go to the Mara to grab some to take back to the room if I'm not already eating at Boma (and sometimes I'll get them even if I am eating at Boma). I'm lucky enough to have a recipe and know how to make them, although they're never as good as those you can actually get at Disney. It was even on my bucket list to eat some...not that it was a hard addition to the list!




I also have an odd love for the store at Animal Kingdom Lodge...although I'm not sure why.

History is above...but you already knew that!

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment