Sunday, April 21, 2013

Day 111: The Lion King

Last night I was lucky enough to see a performance of The Lion King: The Musical. It was, as always, amazing!!!!

I've been fortunate to see multiple Disney musicals throughout my life. This was the second time I saw The Lion King (I saw it for the first time when I was about 5 or 6 in Chicago), and I've seen Beauty and the Beast twice as well. A couple of years ago I saw Mary Poppins, which is probably my favorite of those I've seen, although I'd really like to see the others I've missed, especially Tarzan because I'd like to see how they did it, and the same goes for The Little Mermaid. And Aida, since I haven't seen that either...and of course Aladdin will be starting this year too! So many shows to see, so little time!

I loved the movie the Lion King as a kid, so the musical is just an awesome experience for me...and here is my short list of thoughts from throughout the show.



My favorite song is "He Lives in You." 

Everyone says that Circle of Life takes their breath away, but as amazing as it was, it just didn't do that for me. The reprise of He Lives in You though...did very much take my breath away. Maybe it's because it's a song that wasn't in the original movie (although it's in Lion King 2), and was unique to the musical, or possibly because it's just different from anything else that's really there. It's a slower song and it has a lot of meaning if you ask me. =)

I can really see how much the costumes are inspired by African heritage. 

I noticed it much more this time, and the thought that actually came to mind was Animal Kingdom lodge, and how every single costume could be a piece of amazing artwork displayed there. I think that's one of the greatest accomplishments of The Lion King on broadway....the costuming is just spectacular.



My only criticism is how much Nala moves her arms. 

Maybe it was just my cast, or maybe it's there entire time, but I think the arm movements could have been toned down just a little bit. There are times when those arm movements are nice, but constantly is just kind of distracting.

And that's what I thought...or at least that I could think of at the moment. It was, and is, a great show that I suggest everyone goes to see because it's truly magical in it's own unique way, which makes it even better.

Here's today's Disney History: 2008: In a press release, Disney announces the launching of Disneynature; " a prestigious new production banner that will literally go to the ends of the earth to produce major big screen nature documentaries." In the tradition of the old" True-Life Adventures" series, the first film to be released domestically under Disneynature will be "Earth" in April 2009.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment