Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Day 1311: Photographic Evidence


Perhaps one of my favorite not-so-hidden secrets of Walt Disney World has to be the thousands of little pictures you can find right in front of Spaceship Earth. These pictures, a part of the Leave A Legacy campaign that began in 1999, allowed guests to put their own permanent mark on one of the most visited places in the world, and now, 17 years later, you can still see the pictures, proudly displayed at Epcot. Plus, it's photographic evidence that I was indeed at Walt Disney World all those years ago. 

I actually have two Leave A Legacy pictures, one from 1999 with my mom (which I'm pointing to in the picture above) and another of my brother and I from a few years later. I will say that it's pretty difficult to find the pictures, because their individual "addresses" are certainly something you need to decode, but nothing makes me happier than visiting these pictures, a permanent piece of me that is always there at Epcot. It's sort of like a physical part of me that's always there...despite the fact that I don't look much like I did 17 years ago. 

There's been continuous rumors over the years that the plaques will come down at some point, as obviously they're not original to the park, and I believe they were only guaranteed for 20 years, but I would hate to see this living reminder of so many taken down. Of course, there's thousands more represented near the Magic Kingdom in bricks, of which I also have one, some of which have worn down over the years to the point where they're unrecognizable, but that's what the Florida weather will do to you I suppose...if you're a brick that is. 

Do you have a Leave a Legacy photo or a brick at the Magic Kingdom? Let me know in the comments! 

Have a magical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment