Sunday, August 14, 2016

Day 1322: Door County


Sometimes you don't have to travel very far to find adventure. 

I love heading out to Disney World as much as the next person. Actually, that's a lie, I probably love a good trip to Disney World more than the next person, but that doesn't mean I don't love travel in general, even if it's just within my home state. So when my Godfather was talking about coming for his yearly summer visit and the idea of Door County came up, I jumped at the chance to go, especially since I wasn't able to go last year. 

Door County, for those of you that don't know, is pretty much a hidden gem in Wisconsin...and one of the only really awesome things we have here. If you're not familiar with Wisconsin, take your left hand and place it palm down on the table with your fingers put together and your thumb slightly to the side. Now you have a rough outline of Wisconsin (how many other states can you make with just one hand, huh?). Door County, in this scenario is your thumb. Yep, it's that little peninsula that makes the hand analogy work, and it's filled with little towns and plenty of character. 

The whole of the peninsula is pretty easy to drive, especially since you rarely go more than a half hour between towns, which means you can see a lot of the county without actually taking a ton of time to do it. It's perfect for a day trip like the one we took, which led us to some beautiful sights, cherry pie, wine tasting (wine is big in Door County these days), a farmers market, and even a live musical. 


Heading up to Door County reminded me of the reasons I love to travel in the first place, and it really does connect back to my relationship with Walt Disney World. In the parks, you're able to explore and learn and discover at your own pace, and even after 30 some trips, you're able to find something new each and every time you go. Growing up with that idea has enabled me to find enjoyment and fulfillment in going out an exploring, no matter where I am in the world, even if it's right at home in Wisconsin. 

Yes, perhaps I could find peaches and wine and a lakeshore and cherry pie at home, but there's something about going out and finding it somewhere new or unfamiliar that makes it extra special, especially when you're doing the exploring with the ones you love. And I'm starting to realize that there are plenty of places for me to explore right here in Wisconsin, and I'm hoping to see a few more of them before I head out on my own next year and start exploring new places entirely. 

If you've never heard of Door County before though, check it out on the internet, and next time you're in Wisconsin, stop by for a visit. I promise you won't regret it! 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment