Monday, January 12, 2015

Day 742: A Better Person

While at Disney, in line for the Jungle Cruise specifically, a blog post occurred to me. Sometimes that happens, where I'll be somewhere doing something and a perfect topic will just pop into my head, and this time it happened to be about Social Media.

I tweeted once this summer that social media is a funny thing, and really, it kind of is. That tweet started out actually as a subtweet, mostly because at that point I was dealing with a lot of weird stuff on Facebook and Twitter. There was a lot of drama that somehow included me for no particular reason other than people, at that point, wanted to make my life a living hell, but now, only months later, I find that I've changed.

It occurred to me while in Florida that I type, delete, retype, delete and repeat that same process over and over again these days. I'll write out a tweet or a Facebook post and then delete it. On my Timehop you can sense a different version of myself than in my Facebook posts these days. And you know why? It's because of my blog and the way I want to hold myself on social media.

I'm lucky enough to be surrounded by great role models when it comes to internet usage. The entire cast of OUAT does a great job of dealing with hate and crazed fans such as myself, and I realize that as weird as my tweets sometimes are to the cast members, I never tweet or post something on the internet these days that I would be ashamed for one of those cast members to see. I keep myself in a professional manner these days, far more often than I used to, and I think it's because now I see Everyday Disney and social media as a part of my own little job than I ever did before.

It's no secret that I gain absolutely nothing from this blog, as least money wise. I'm not paid for the time I spend writing here, or for the time it takes for me to go through the thousands of pictures that will eventually end up on my Instagram, or for the days of work I put into things like the Band Trip Video, but it's still my job. This is what I spend my time doing, and while I, currently, have been sitting in my college library for almost 8 hours, working continuously, in the end it's all kind of worth it.

And you know what? I think that might just be a secret to the tweets I get back from the cast members and other famous people. It's because I hold myself with a sense of respect, sort of like I'm combining multiple sayings into one, such as "Dress everyday as though you'd meet your favorite actor," "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all," and "The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life."

All three of these quotes have really meant more and more to me over the past year, and now that I can look back and see myself come from one solidified point to another, it means all the more. So my advice to you is to be unique, be kind and make every single post, tweet or status something you'd want your favorite actor to hit "like" on.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment