Sunday, March 13, 2016

Day 1168: Dignity, Always Dignity


I definitely have Disney to thank for my love of Singin' in the Rain. After all, if it weren't for The Great Movie Ride, I probably wouldn't have decided to watch the film at all, even if the songs are pretty catch and much more well known than I originally realized. Really though, I could watch this movie every day for the rest of my life and still never tire of it. It makes me want to sing, it makes me want to dance, and it definitely makes me want to go back to the 1920s. However, while watching the film the other day, I realized that there were more than a few lessons between the notes of this film that we all need to keep in mind throughout life. 

"Dignity, always dignity" is quickly represented as an important line of the film, and it may just be one of the most important. It, along with the background music of "Fit as a Fiddle" reminds us that we can't all be the greatest musician, actor, or person straight off. We're going to fall into deep pits of despair and failure at some point, but as Don reminds us, as long as we keep our dignity, things are going to be alright. The hard work you put in now will pay off in the long run. 

"Make 'em laugh" is sort of a universal truth, because laughter really is the best medicine. It's one of the best ways to cheer a person up, and it never fails to make something more entertaining. If we embrace a little more humor in our lives, maybe we'd all be happier and more willing to make others laugh. I don't think we all need to roll around on the floor with a doll, but sitting on a piano is a good way to start. 

Cosmo and Don hold a special place in my heart too, because around I constantly hear the joke about "don't forget the little people when you're off becoming rich and famous." The truth is, I have no anticipation of becoming rich or famous, although I suppose a little extra money wouldn't hurt. However, even if, by some fluke of fate, I do find myself in front of the cameras, you'd better believe that my friends and family will be right next to me. 

Don't forget to dance and sing in the rain. I said a moment ago that Dignity might be the most important lesson here, but really nothing can surpass the simple fact that we all need to remember to have fun. Life is a lot of work, whether it be blogging, going to class, sitting at a desk job, or working at a Disney park. But it won't seem like work all the time if we remember to make it fun and do a little singing and dancing along the way. 

There are tons of other lessons in Singin' in the Rain, but for now, I'm going to go hope that this snow turns into rain so I have something to dance in. Dancing in snow just isn't as fun because it's cold and you usually end up falling on your face...but then again...dignity. Always dignity. 

Have a magical day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment