Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Day 1178: Bored Beyond Comprehension


Spring break is a blessing and a curse.

On one hand, having an entire week off to do pretty much whatever your heart desires is great. You could travel to Florida (like everyone and their brother it seems), or to some other far off place. There's time to catch up on the numerous things you're behind on because school literally takes over your life. There's time to plan for Disney vacations, and watch movies, and even be sick (I fought off a cold with everything I had and won). But after a few days of basking in the freedom, you kind of start to miss your friends if you're far away from them and you definitely start to get bored.

Usually, my breaks are so filled with things going on that I hardly notice a break happened. That's how much of J-Term was for me this year, how fall break goes, last spring break, and everything in between. There's always so much to do that a real break hardly seems possible. But now, only half way through my spring break where I have actually very little going on, I'm so absolutely bored that there's no way to describe how much I want it to be next Monday when everyone comes back and we go back to the regular routine.

I got so bored that I actually color coded my box of crayons. That's where I'm at in life.

This is not to say that there aren't other things I should be doing. Unfortunately, because of the snow, my go-to activity of practicing is sort of off the table, and you can only sit in front of your computer screen for so long before blogging and composing and watching Netflix all seems like a terrible idea. Actually, I feel sort of like Baymax, needing a recharge every so often, but there's no in-between here. Either I have a ton of time on my hands to the point where doing the same thing for hours gets tiring or I have no time on my hands and I wish I could find a chance to sit down and write a blog post.

Finding that balance is a key goal in my life right now as I continue to adjust to, quite literally, life-altering events that force me to rethink everything. And maybe, just maybe, I should be looking to what I already do know for sure as a key to how to go forward. This could get really philosophical, like how on Splash Mountain there are a series of drops, and you're always waiting for the big one, but the first time you go on it you never quite know if the drop you're about to go down is the big one or not. Life is like that too, full of big and little drops, but you never quite know how tall they are until you're at the bottom. They can be scary, but they can also be exciting, and they can most certainly get messy. If that's not a metaphor for life, I don't know what is.

And that's just a taste of the weird thoughts that have come to mind amidst hours of boredom.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment