Saturday, June 4, 2016

Day 1251: Flowers at Home


This year, the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival really inspired me. Despite the fact that the last plant I had was about two years ago (and I killed it...), I wanted to try some gardening again. I mean, how can you not want to be good at gardening after looking at all of those amazing topiaries? To inspire the urge to garden further, our new apartment has an expansive balcony perfect for housing some plants over the summer.

So when my parents told me they were going to a local flower and gardening festival at the nearby Green Bay Botanical Garden I pretty quickly decided that I wanted to go too, and I knew that I would be coming home with some plants of my own. However, at the festival I saw plenty of things that reminded me of the Epcot Flower and Garden Festival, including these Cinnamon Roasted Almonds (which is literally one of my favorite Disney World snacks).


I didn't just walk around eating almonds the whole time though, because I definitely saw a lot of plants! 


My dad and I had multiple conversations about how much we liked the ones on the left, but the one of the right just had to be shared. It's actually an umbrella topiary, and I can only imagine that it's formed and created similar to the ones we see around World Showcase and Future World! Oh, and I couldn't pass up a picture of the little Kermit the Frog below.


As for the plants I brought home for our apartment, we have a whole bunch of them, and of course we named them all too. The three below sit inside our apartment and will stay with us throughout the winter as well. We decided to go with a musical theme to name all of our plants, so here we have (from the left): Eponine (Les Mis), Liesl (The Sound of Music), and Elphaba (Wicked). 


To add some color to our balcony, we had to find plants that were good in shade, since we get very little direct sunlight due to the fact that our apartment faces the North. Still, these begonias brighten things up the same way Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy do in Hamilton. And that's what we named them. Angelica (the red/orange), Eliza (white), and Peggy (yellow). 


And finally we have these two, also out on the balcony. The mint plant on the right is named Crutchie (Newsies) and the hosta on the right was the first one we named: King George (Hamilton). We named him King George partly because, well, we love Jonathan Groff's character in Hamilton, and partly because we bought him on the King's birthday.  


Whether or not I'll be able to keep these plants alive I have no idea, but I'm certainly going to try (and I'm really going to miss King George when he has to leave for the winter). For now, I'm excited to try out some of the basic techniques that I learned at the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival! 

Have a magical day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment