Saturday, June 25, 2016

Day 1272: It Works!


If you think my career in film started a couple of years ago when I made my first real Disney vlog, you'd be wrong.

I honestly don't remember when the first time I picked up a video camera was, but I certainly wasn't very old, and I remember the experience itself pretty well. In fact, my family constantly makes fun of me for the first video I took, since it's mostly just me whipping the camera around our room at Old Key West so quickly that it makes pretty much everyone who watches it sick unless you look away regularly. From there, I obviously gained a steadier hand and some vision as to what makes for a good video. 

That first camera I used, however, is almost as old as I am, and in fact, it's not even the camera in the above picture. It's an old Sony, just like the other video cameras we've gotten over the years (a number that's just rising to four...mostly because we all want to use the camera so much we can't share anymore), but it's also almost as old as I am...20 years old. My parents got it not long before my first trip to Walt Disney World in October of 1996 and it continued to record most of our trips until 2011 when we went to Disneyland, soon after which we decided it was time to upgrade to a new camera. 

We made the decision to upgrade largely because we believed the old video camera had finally died, and so it sat on a shelf in our kitchen, of all places, for the last four and a half years. Until the other night when I explained an idea for an upcoming video to my dad, which would require old footage that we literally haven't looked at in years. So, on a whim, we tried to use the playback on the old camera, and amazingly enough, it worked. 

After watching one of the tapes from my very first trip to Walt Disney World, we decided that maybe it would be best if we updated all this footage, which is actually decent high quality, to digital before the camera decides to die for good. There will definitely be updates and posts focused on memories I find as time goes on, since I'll be starting the transfer of the footage as soon as I get a disc drive to install programming on my computer (something I neglected to look at when I bought a new laptop) and have a system made for transferring old tapes to digital. 

All in all, I couldn't be happier that the camera does indeed work, because really, I was a sassy and adorable child, and who wouldn't want to see that? 

Have a magical day! 


No comments:

Post a Comment