Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Day 533: Sustenance

I once did a blog post about one of my favorite words: prematurely. Now Megan uses it from time to time just to make my smile, and smile I do, but it's not my only favorite word, that's for sure. In fact, it seems that television has really made an impact on my vocabulary. I was just talking to my roommate earlier today about this particular subject, as a matter of fact, after she used the word realm. It didn't even phase me since realm is such a common addition to my life now. Why? I'll give you one guess.

Captain Hook.

Seriously though, who talks like that? Who in the world talks like they're straight out of the Renaissance or something? Apparently one particular pirate captain does. That's who. And here's a few words that I've somehow incorporated into my vocabulary.

Form (Good or Bad): the customary or correct method or procedure; what is usually done.

Vexed: annoyed, frustrated or worried.

Medicinal (Properties): a substance or plant that has healing properties.

Bloody Hell: Slang used throughout the world as a sort of profanity.

Realm: A Kingdom.

Honorable: Bringing or worthy of honor.

Full Stop: Another term for period. (This one is more Colin's fault though...)

Sustenance: Food and drink regarded as a source of strength; nourishment.

In addition, once in a great while I probably end up talking with this little bit of an accent, although that doesn't happen very often unless I'm trying. Regardless, it does indeed appear that my vocabulary has expanded thanks to none other than one television show. I feel like I should continue updating this list too because I swear I learn new words all the time...and these are just the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on October 30).


No comments:

Post a Comment