Sunday, June 22, 2014

Day 538: On the Road Again

I'm not going to lie. It's a bit strange basically reviewing ever waking moment of the band trip that occurred over a month ago, but that's what I'm going to try and do in the next six blog posts. I figure it's a pretty good way to work on stuff, since I already have the topics planned out for these few days, and I'm not really sure what to talk about for the tons of other days I must make up before the school year begins in a few weeks.

But let's not focus on that right now. Let's focus on the band trip. It was six days in length, although two of those were spent on a bus and there's just not much that goes on there aside from a ridiculous amount of drama and high tempers. You'll hear more about my final thoughts at the end of the trip though, since that last post is reserved for that while this one, along with the other four, are for more specific topics.

Today's topic? The bus.

As I just mentioned, it's quite easy for tempers to run high, people to get angry and to become very, very bored while on a bus for 24 hours. And it would have been nice if we had been on a bus for 24.

The drive from Seymour, Wisconsin to Kennedy Space Center at Cape Canaveral, ideally, is about 21 hours. That's without stopping or traffic though, so you have to account for the fact that it'll probably be more around 24 hours to begin with. Our drive ended up being closer to 27 or 28 hours, due to some traffic jams. But that doesn't mean it wasn't an adventure!

To be honest, we watched WAY too many movies on our trip. In fact, I'm pretty sure we watched more films on this trip than we did on the three previous trips combined...or four. Or something like that. Either way, it was just a lot of movies. I was put in charge of such things, and then the back of the bus got angry when I told them we should take a break and put in another movie anyways...which of course no one watched. This isn't about me getting angry about that though, so let's talk about some of the better stuff that went on during our drive.

For one, in order to get from Wisconsin to Florida, you generally head through Nashville. What's awesome about this you ask? Well it just so happens that as we were driving through, a certain actor by the name of Colin O'Donoghue was just wrapping up filming on his new film, The Dust Storm! Of course we didn't actually see him, considering we were on the highway in a traffic jam because of construction and he was at the wrap party downtown, but hey! Being in the same city is good enough for me I should think. After all, that's about the closest I've ever come.

Next year I'll end up missing him at Comic Con by like a week though. Life is rough.

Aside from all of that crazy, I spent a good portion of my time filming out of the window for the band trip video, which is going to take a lot more time than I suppose I initially intended it to. It'll be an adventure.



And despite the fact that we DID watch too many movies, we got to finally watch LEGO movie, which just made me super excited. I bought it just before the trip because everyone always talks about how spectacular it was, and I figured that it would be a good one to take on the trip. My favorite part was most certainly the Star Wars cameo. Can't beat Han Solo. He's pretty awesome. ;)

After all of that we slept...or at least tried to. Sleeping on a bus is one of the most difficult things ever, and in the end you just don't get much sleep at all. But you push through it and come out the next day ready to hit Disney World. Not that we did...much. The beach and Kennedy Space Center were calling us, and then FINALLY we got to Downtown Disney. But we didn't let the fact that we got there late ruin our day. What a great first day in Florida it was!

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on August 1). 

No comments:

Post a Comment