Saturday, November 22, 2014

Day 691: Fairy Tales Continue

You know, last semester held one of my absolute favorite classes here at SNC. Actually, no, it was my favorite class at SNC. Now maybe I loved it so much because my friends were there or because it wasn't especially difficult work to go through it, but let's be real. It was probably because of the fact that it was a whole class on Fairy Tales, and with OUAT being my favorite television show, it really got me started on the path of reading all the original stories that they bring onto the show. It's fun to find the little connections and think about how new stories could be incorporated. However, that's not what I'm talking about in this blog post. That's a topic for another day. 

You see, part of that class was a competition to see who could find the most fairy tale references within our society. I know I blogged about it previous, but the idea was that we would try to find fairy tale references within commercials, movies, songs, advertisements in general. Everything counted, and I definitely won the competition (no really, I won). 

The problem is, even now, I still seem to find every single reference. It's sort of weird sometimes actually. Even just watching Gilmore Girls I'll stumble across a billion different references to everything from The Wizard of Oz to Snow White. And then I'll watch Chuck and there'll be a reference there too. IT'S CRAZY. 

And the sad part? Every single time someone says the word Hook now, I just burst out in a ridiculous fit of giggles. What in the world has this semester done to me? Granted, my roommates are the real champs here, for putting up with my constant talk of Once, Disney and Fairy Tales. They deserve a reward. 

I should have made a list of all the fairy tale references I've found in the past few weeks though. Now that I'm going through and trying to think of some I've just got nothing. NOTHING AT ALL. Alright, that's a lie. There's that Geico commercial with Pinocchio. I don't know if I actually included that one on my original list from last semester. I wonder if I have that...I FOUND IT! 

Here's the official list of the sightings I had for Fairy Tale class, since I never actually shared it. This is one of those topics that got lost in the summer of random blogging. So here's the list: 

1. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicopters : Seven Dwarfs
2. Prom: Once Upon A Time Theme
3. New Girl : Peter Pan
4. Newsies : Humpty Dumpty
5. TLC : I Found the Gown (All Those Princess/Fairy Tale Feels)
6. The Rite : Tinkerbell
7. The Ugly Duckling : Modern Marvels
8. The Princess Diaries : Queen of Hearts
9. The Princess Diaries 2 : Rapunzel and Prince Charming
10. The Goldbergs : Glass Slipper 
11. The Fault in Our Stars : Prince Charming
12. Fairy Tale Creature Quiz
13. Spanish Lecture : Red Riding Hood
14. Museum of Science and Industry : Puss in Boots
15. Museum of S&I : Fairy Castle
16. Museum of S&I : Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives
17. Photographs with Real Animals
18. Trophy Wife : "I don't think we're in Ohio anymore."
19. WDW : Alice in Wonderland Book
20. WDW : Once Upon A Vine
21. Dark Horse : "That Fairy Tale ending with a knight in shining armor. She can be my Sleeping Beauty, I'm gon' put her in a comma."
22. Emma Approved : Cinderella
23. Which Grimm Fairy Tale Princess Are You?
24. Solo and Ensemble : Goldilocks and the Three Bears
25. High School Musical 2 : Once Upon A Time & Happily Ever After
26. About a Boy : Fairy Dust & Through the Looking Glass
27. Blitzgiving (HIMYM) : Cinderella's Evil Stepmother
28. GEICO Commercial : Pinocchio
29. Buzzfeed Articles
30. Raven Symone : Alice
31. The Avengers : Flying Monkeys
32. FAFSA Sign : Don't be late for a very important date!
33. Megan & Luke : King Midas (Muppets reference to Goldilocks)
34. Legally Blonde : Sleeping Beauty
35. Fresh Prince of Bel Air : "What is this? Oz?" and "The Little Mermaid."
36. Intelligence : No Need to Huff and Puff
37. Shirley Temple's Storybook
38. Alice and Olivia Presentation : Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, etc. 
39. Dad's Fairy Tale Books
40. White Rabbit Meme
41. I'm a Believer : I though love was only true in fairy tales
42. Sociology : Fairy Tales in Mass Media
43. Somewhere in Neverland : Song by All Time Low
44. Wonderland Magazine
45. The Monster : Rumpelstiltskin 

That's just the official list I had for last semester, but since then (probably because it's been another semester), the number has at least doubled. It's honestly crazy how many fairy tale references are out there in our world, and how much of an impact they've had on us whether we like it or not. It's definitely interesting to explore as a topic in general. No wonder Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis created a whole show based off of these stories and characters, and no wonder we all love it! 

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on December 12 due to Finals Week!)

No comments:

Post a Comment