Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day 769: Slides

Sorry Ashley, I'm not talking about the slides that you, for some reason, want to take on the airplane.

Nope, I'm talking about photography slides!

If you're as young as I am, you may not know exactly what I'm talking about...specifically because for some weird reason our generation just doesn't know much about the old technology that graced our world before we all had smart phones. Of course, smart phones are great. I have one that I use constantly (I actually just thought about it and had to go check Twitter before continuing to write...I apparently have problems).

Regardless, back in the day, back before you could take pictures constantly with phones, you had to take pictures differently, and one of those ways was by slide photography. I'm not totally up on how it all works (I guess I didn't think to ask Dad more about the process before writing this blog post), but, in the end, you use a slide projector to project each slide onto a screen.

When I was younger, the screen and the projector would just sort of hang in my closet and every so often we would pull it out and Mom and Dad would educate us on the "Old Ways of Disney." Since the screen and projector has moved out of my closet, we haven't really looked at slides anywhere near as often, but then again we used to watch video from Disney trips every Sunday and we haven't done that in ages either.

The point is, after quite some time, we finally pulled out the projector and spent (for me) two evenings looking through slides from anywhere between 1985 and 1993. It's always awesome to have a look back at what Walt Disney World used to be compared to what it is now. So I figured I would share a few of my "picceptions" with you!






Now, we looked at hundreds of slides so this is just a selection of what we saw, but I'm sure I'll share more in the future. Up above you can see Hollywood Studios as it will soon look again, hatless, The construction walls for Tower of Terror, Vintage Epcot (The left was taken in 1993 and the right in 1985), and finally the farewell sign from a 1985 Epcot Center! 

Have a magical day!


(Note: This Blog Post was written on February 22, 2015).

No comments:

Post a Comment