Saturday, May 9, 2015

Day 859: Hatbox Ghost! Hatbox Ghost!

Due to finals week and multiple other factors, this blog post is long overdue (both date wise and topic wise), meaning that I'm fairly certain I'm just about the last person to jump on the Hatbox Ghost train. However, that doesn't mean it's not worthy of a special place on Everday Disney.

If you're like my roommates and about 99% of the people I actually talk to on a daily basis, you've probably got no idea what I'm talking about when I mention the Hatbox Ghost, and to be completely honest, a few months ago I would have been right along with you. Once and a while you see one of those Disney Urban Legend videos claiming they have a ghost on record in a Disney park, and yeah, I've watched them too, but if there are two things in the Disney Parks that legitimately make me beleive in something like the residents of Haunted Mansion, it's the Hatbox Ghost and the story of George, the ghost that's said to reside in Pirates of the Caribbean at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom Park.

We'll start with George since he's the actual reason I sort of actually believe in ghosts. The legend tells of a welder named George, who allegidly died when Pirates of the Caribbean was initially under construction in the 1970s. The cause of his death is technically unknown, especially since there's no real record of anyone dying during the construction of the attraction, much less a man named George. Technically he too is an Urban Legend, but those of us who know the story are always sure to say a quick Good Morning or Night George, whether or not in fear of the chance of the attraction unexplainably breaking down at somepoint during the day. Better be safe than sorry, right? You can actually see it in my Disney vlogs, where we often film our Good Morning or Evening to the ghost, just to make it clear that we said it. What really makes me believe in George though? He has a door, situated behind the dog in the jail cell scene, and if it's open you'd better brace yourself. However, this one time we were on the attraction when we suddenly got stopped, us and about three other boats, in that scene, right by the door, despite the fact that there weren't any boats currently unloading just around the corner. We sat there for a minute or two before moving, but since that say, I've been sure to recognize the presense that is our friend George.

But the Hatbox Ghost is another story. It's obvious that I'm not a frequent visitor to Disneyland. In fact, I've only been there once, and while I'm thrilled to be going back this August, trips out to California are few and far between, which is probably why I didn't actually hear the entire legend of the Hatbox Ghost until recently.

Disney Parks Blog

As the tale goes, the Hatbox Ghost appeared originally in The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland but was removed soon after due to a failed effect, which was supposed to be the disappearance of the Ghost's head from his body and reapperance in the hatbox he carries. The strange part? The pieces and most of the concept art disappeared as well, just as the ghost did from the attraction. Now in reality he really was just taken out of the attraction due to the technically difficulties, but his disappearance has caused rumors for years, and he's become one of the Mansion's most famous Haunts, despite the lack of his presence on the attraction itself.

But now? Now the Hatbox Ghost has returned, and if you're really itching to see him, there's plenty of video evidence out there now that he does indeed reside in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion once again. As for me, I've seen the videos, and I'm thrilled that I'll get to see the Hatbox Ghost for myself when I head to Disneyland in August, and I do hope he moves to Walt Disney World soon as well!

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on May 23 due to finals).

No comments:

Post a Comment