Saturday, October 24, 2015

Day 1027: Talking to a Hero

It seems like it's been forever since the events I am about to describe took place...and in complete honesty, it has been a while...over a month in fact. That doesn't diminish the fact that a significant portion of me still doesn't believe that any of this actually happened...and in fact just today I made a comment that was ridiculous because of the story I am about to tell you.

And so...here I am, telling you about what happened at the Twin Cities Film Festival. 

First off, if you haven't watched my video on the topic, maybe you should do that first: 


Kind of a long story short, Colin O'Donoghue, the actor who plays Captain Hook on Once Upon A Time, has quickly worked his way into the list of my favorite actors, and in fact, he's now up at the top right with Harrison Ford. At first, I think it was the accent, but over time, I've really come to just appreciate Colin as a real person. That sounds weird, but honestly there's no "not-weird" way to say any of this. He's just a person I genuinely admire and look up to, whether it be for his humor, for his focus on family and keeping what's private, well, private, his excellent acting, or his love of music. 

So you can imagine what happened when I talked to him on the phone. 

The Twin Cities Film Festival was beyond anything I could have ever hoped for. I remember sitting in our campus library with my best friend, presenting the idea of attending as a joke (after all, my parents would never let me go, and it was crazy, right?)...only she took it a little more seriously than I thought...and then one by one my roommates found out that Colin's new film was premiereing four and a half hours away. 

Of course, that means we had to get tickets...and we did. And that was just the beginning. 

I can't quite praise the work that is The Dust Storm enough, because the cast and crew did spectacular things with the time and budget they had. The acting is supurb, both from Colin and Kristin, and I would honestly give just about anything to see it again...or at least hear a couple of the songs.

But to get to talk to Colin on the phone...honestly I'm still not sure how it all happened, and I can't thank everyone enough for making it possible. I still have to kind of pinch myself as a reminder that it actually happened. Every time I watch a new episode of OUAT, the thought kind of occurs to me...even now, I can't help but smile thinking about it. Because honestly, how many times in your life do you get to talk to one of your heroes on the phone? 


Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on December 1...because college).


No comments:

Post a Comment