Friday, April 15, 2016

Day 1201: The Jungle Book


It's time for another round of "A Disney movie I was skeptical about but actually really enjoyed!"

The Jungle Book was sort of an after thought for me, but following my jazz concert, my parents and I headed to the theater to see the newest Disney film, and you know, it wasn't half bad. While it definitely had its moments, the animation is some of the most beautiful I've seen in a long while, and the acting was superb too. And actually, I think I like this live action version better than the animated version...which feels sort of wrong to say.

Still though, I think my biggest problem with this film is that when the music was there, it almost felt out of place. While the animated version definitely has some muscial-esque qualities to it, this live action version wasn't a musical. It was an action packed movie that just happened to have a couple of random songs thrown in the middle, which made them feel forced. However, the songs were beautifully done and updated for today, so something must be said about that also.



Really though I think the element I loved most in this was the character development. Every character seems to have a role here, whether it be Baloo or Kaa or a random member of the wolf-pack, which I also adored. It brought a depth to the story that's not there in the animated version. Oh, and they also updated and got rid of that absolutely awful ending.

I'm not entirely sure what sort of rating I'd give this one, maybe a 6 or 7 out of ten. It definitely wasn't a movie I would become obsessed with, much like I expect Captain America and Finding Dory will, and I'm not even sure I'd go to see it again in the near future, although I'm sure I'll end up buying it on Blu-Ray when we get there this fall. Still, it's worth a watch!

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment