Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 485: At the Bottom of the List

Day 5 of the Disney Photo Challenge: A picture of your least favorite ride or attraction. 


Blast from the Past: 



It seems funny, and totally out of character, but this one is REALLY hard for me to answer. Be warned...this is another REALLY long one. 

There are, believe it or not, a number of attractions that I don't particularly enjoy. 

I would probably say something like Mission Space, but I've never been on that...so I can't say that. And then there's the Tower of Terror...which I'm never going on...ever...but I've never been on that either. And I'm not a huge fan of the Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor...I don't like being picked out like that...or the China Pavilion Video because it's in dire need of an update because it's so dated now compared to everything else. 

But, in the end, I think that the attraction that I REALLY dislike is "Lights, Motors, Action: Extreme Stunt Show." I hate (ok...hate is a strong word)...I dislike this attraction so much that I've been known to call it "Lights, Motors, Stupid: Extreme Waste of Disney Property." Here's why: 

When I was younger, the backlot area of the then "MGM Studios" was a working production lot. There was an entire neighborhood of houses for filming. Every Christmas time, this area was lit with thousands of lights for the "Osborne Spectacle of Lights" based on the family's tradition of lighting everything in the yard. This really impressed me when I was little, and it really brought something different to the park. Plus, the "Backlot Tour" went right by the houses and explained how they are used to shoot movies...real movies. It was truly awesome. 

But a number of years ago, Disney did something stupid (and I won't say they don't do the occasional stupid thing, because sometimes they do...) and totally striped the entire backlot area...the houses, the old theater where "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" stage show took place, everything...and turned it into a stunt show where a spy ran through Paris in some cool looking cars. 

Now, the first time I saw this, I have to say...I was impressed. These stunts were really cool. I mean, they drove the car backwards, at high speeds, through explosions...and the guy got set on fire! (It's ok...he survived). They made it seem as if they were actually shooting an action scene for a spy movie...and at the end, you got to watch the completed scene. 

And then I saw it a second time. LMA is not like the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular...also located in the same park. Indy's got a heck of a lot going for him. It's a funny show, they get people involved (A LOT), there are some awesome stunts, and everyone knows the movies. Plus, it's got the Harrison Ford connection, but either way, it's awesome. LMA doesn't have that. It's not based on a popular and award-winning movie series, and it certainly doesn't have much else going for it when you are bored the second time you go see it. 

So that's why I call it "Lights Motors Stupid: Extreme Waste of Disney Property." The backlot area used to be really awesome, and it really taught a lot about movie making. Not only did LMA get rid of that area, but it also got rid of the stage production AND most of the Backlot Tour, which is now made up of a trip past Walt's Private Jet, a trip through the costuming department (WHICH I GO TO GO IN...but that's another story), through "Catastrophe Canyon," and past a bunch of movie props (including my favorite...a skiff used in "Return of the Jedi." Harrison Ford could have STOOD on that skiff...). You finish by going through an exhibit on Villains (Darth Vader is there!). That's it. It used to be so much more than that...

The funny part: there has recently been talk of taking out LMA and replacing it with a Disney World version of CarsLand...which is new to Disney's California Adventure (and a big success) in California. It certainly makes sense...no one goes to see LMA much anymore, and unlike Indy (who does many shows a day), LMA generally only has two per day. Just remember Disney...I told you so, many years ago. Can't say that every day! 

Back to the Future: 



Honestly, this is another hard question.

I still don't like Lights Motors Action, that's for sure, but I don't think I'm as opposed to it as I used to be. In fact, I pretty much enjoy all the attractions at Disney, although there is one in recent years that sort of disappointed me: Under the Sea: Journey of the Little Mermaid. I love the movie and everything, but something in the attraction just falls flat. Don't get me wrong, it's absolutely brilliant up until the end. The first number of rooms are bright, colorful and very much like the movie. But the entire Climax of the film is missing, giving it a sort of abrupt end that I didn't like the first time I went on it, or any time after that.

Otherwise, I'm pretty chill about my attractions. I've found reason to love most of them in the past couple of years, and while I still swear I'm not going on Tower of Terror...it seems my friends have it out to get me on it. So we'll see about that.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on August 19).

No comments:

Post a Comment