Saturday, October 25, 2014

Day 663: Alexander and the...

From time to time I do actually get to a movie theater to see a movie, believe it or not. Honestly, I'm fairly certain that the last film I actually saw at the movie theater was Saving Mr. Banks, and we all know that I saw that in like...December. It was definitely either that or Frozen. Regardless, it's been a REALLY long time since I saw anything there.

But for once I DID go to the theater, where I caught a showing of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. I can never get that title right (and the only reason I did just now was because I looked it up), but I have to say that it was a pretty good movie. I mean, it wasn't exceptionally good, but it wasn't bad either. It was just...entertaining, as a movie should be.

What really freaked me out, however, was the apparent fact that I was meant to see this movie. And by "meant" to see this movie, I mean I was literally meant to see this movie. There were so many little references to my life that are just sort of...creepy to say the least. I mean, generally we find one little reference to our lives that doesn't make sense within a movie. Like a moment where a character says something that is like an inside joke we have with our friends, one of those kinds of things. But I didn't think it was possible for this many references to my life to appear within one movie.

First there was the yellow bug. I see these things everywhere and just kind of get used to it, although I still laughed a bit. But then the pirate jokes started. PIRATE JOKES. Because you know...Peter Pan...and Captain Hook...and Pirate Blouses. That's just how these things work I guess. There was also a marching band, because there just has to be one of those. And Dick Van Dyke was in the movie, odd because literally the night before I watched Mary Poppins with one of my friends, who'd never seen the film before. Oh, and one of the actors (the guy who plays the older brother), was recently on Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D, which just so happens to be one of the TV shows I love and adore.

But the creepiest thing? Melvin. There's a guinea pig named Melvin in the movie, and of all the names in the entire world to choose for the rodent, they picked Melvin? I have a Melvin in my life, who's also a rodent...or so to speak. We're not allowed to have pets in our dorms (aside from fish), so we have Melvin, our "pet gerbil." I won't go into too much detail about Melvin since he gets his own blog post later this week, but really? Melvin.

And therefore, I was absolutely meant to see this movie, which, as I said, was actually pretty good, even if I can't ever remember what the actual name of it is.

Have a magical day!

(Note: This blog post was written on October 27).

No comments:

Post a Comment