Saturday, April 4, 2015

Day 824: Disney Food Night

There's been numerous occurrences throughout the 800 days that make up Everyday Disney where I have had what we like to call a "Disney Food Night." The basis is simple: you make a meal entirely out of food from the Disney Parks, at at least that's how it works for us. I know there are definitely ways out there to do food inspired by a movie, and then you eat while watching that movie, but because we're at the parks so often, any sort of food from Disney World or even Disneyland just feels more right. We all have our favorites too; Jonny likes the Grey Stuff, my personal favorite is Strawberry Soup from 1900 Park Faire at the Grand Floridian, and Mom (I believe) enjoys the Honey Sesame Chicken found throughout the parks, but specifically Nine Dragons at Epcot. As for Dad, I'm not really sure, but he seems to like whatever we make, so it all works out in the end. 

For a number of reasons, we decided that it was about time for a Disney Food Night, and Ashley and I set out to figure out what Disney foods we'd be making this time. Like pretty much every other time we make Disney food, we ended up with the same dishes: Strawberry Soup, Monte Cristo Sandwiches, and, for dessert, Grey Stuff. That just seems to be how it works. All three are relatively easy to make, and as far as the Grey Stuff goes...you really can't mess it up. It's that easy. So here's how ours turned out, and I've included the recipes for you to try at home as well!


The Monte Cristo Sandwiches have become a staple around here, although we also definitely have a lot of Croque Monsieur. Either way, French food, or in this case, food from New Orleans Square at Disneyland, is one of my favorites. After all, I'm a huge beignets fan and these sandwiches are basically deep fried ham and cheese. Absolutely delicious. The recipe for this one came from HERE, although I've used several others over the years.

I don't have a specific picture of the Strawberry Soup just because by the time we finished it, the light wasn't great for taking photos anymore. I remember trying the Strawberry Soup on a whim because it's featured in one of my Disney cookbooks. After all, I like Strawberries! I like soup! And I certainly like Disney, so it sounds like a match made in heaven. Of course, it actually is, and when I had it at 1900 Park Faire a while later, I was hooked for eternity.

Strawberry Soup, Walt Disney World's Grand Floridian Resort
Yield 4-6 Servings
Ingredients: 
2 1/2 lbs frozen strawberries
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup yogurt
Fresh Strawberries - For Garnish
Method:
1. Thaw the frozen berries, keep the juices as well.
2. Blend all of the ingredients (minus the fresh strawberries) on low until smooth (I use my ninja and it works brilliantly).
3. Chill, shake well (or stir well) before serving.
4. Add Fresh strawberry halves as a garnish. 


And finally, my brother special requested that we make Grey Stuff, which I actually make all the time. It's literally delicious and one of the easiest Disney recipes you could ever make. There are several recipes out there, but over time I'm come to find that THIS recipe works really well. I always add a bit extra whipped topping though, just to make it a bit lighter, but you can make it any consistency you'd like.

I'd say that, in the end, the Honey Sesame Chicken from Nine Dragons is probably the Disney food made the most around here, but these three are all up there as well. Next, I'm definitely up for making some Hoop Dee Doo inspired food (Straw...Strawberry...Strawberry Shot...Strawberry Shortcake anyone!?!), and who knows what I'll want to try either before or after Disneyland! Plus, I figure I'll be making dole whips at some point, but that's all in the future. For now, I've got a whole container of leftover grey stuff in the fridge with my name on it.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment