Sunday, April 12, 2015

Day 832: Rhapsody in Blue

Remember a few blog posts ago when I told you there would be several focusing on music? Well, here's another of those posts! I went to a piano recital today, as one does, and, oddly enough, there wasn't just one Disney reference...there were two!

First, as part of a piano duet, there was a performance of Nuages, the first movement of Nocturnes by Claude Debussy. I didn't realize it at first, but in the middle of the performance I was sitting in the audience just trying to figure out why I knew what notes were supposed to come next and why it all felt so familiar. It didn't take me long to figure out that, of course, that movement is in Impressions de France, just like all the other songs in the world seem to be. 

However, that wasn't the biggest Disney reference of the recital. As a finale, there was a grand performance of a new arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue featuring many of the musicians from here at St. Norbert College. Of course, Rhapsody in Blue was featured as a segment in Fantasia 2000, something Tanner even noted in the show notes in the program, which brought a smile to my face! The segment in the film depicts New York City through music, some of which you can watch in the clip below! 




If you want to catch the whole performance of Rhapsody in Blue in Fantasia 2000 you'll have to check it out yourself! Fantasia grows on me more and more everyday, probably because I'm a music major, but also because each segment is a beautiful representation of the world of music and is worth a look by everyone! 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment