Saturday, April 25, 2015

Day 845: Never Grow Up

Believe it or not, I wasn't always as crazy about Captain Hook as I am today. In fact, the number of ways my life has changed to involve everything pirates and Peter Pan in the past few years still astonishes me. And yet, it seems that, in some ways, Peter Pan has always been there without me really knowing it, long before Captain Hook and long before Once Upon A Time. 

Growing Up (Ha!), Peter Pan just wasn't my favorite movie. I'd watch it every once and a while, and there was certainly a period where I really loved the sequel "Return to Neverland," but I much preferred Lady and the Tramp or The Lion King or even Hercules or The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Even in the parks, the elements of Peter Pan just kind of escaped me. I wasn't a huge fan of the attraction, and up until the past few trips, I rarely visited it. Now though? A "slight" obsession with Captain Hook has turned my life inside out, in more ways than one. I realized not long ago that I've actually been a Oncer longer than I've been a Star Wars fan, as OUAT would have premiere in October of 2011, only two months after my trip to Disneyland. It wouldn't be until later that year (sometime in November) that I would watch Episodes 5 and 6 for the first time and become completely addicted to the series. Regardless, Captain Hook wouldn't appear in my life for another year, sometime in the fall of 2012, before Everyday Disney, before my graduation from High School and long before today, where, prior to this blog post, I took a "Hook break," watching a couple of scenes from OUAT on my laptop as motivation to continue working. Obviously, it worked. 

But let's go back to a strange element of Peter Pan in my life that's been present since before Hook waltzed in. It didn't occur to me until recently that Pan has been a part of my social media presence longer than I thought. On social media sites, descriptions can be taken seriously or the exact opposite, but at some point a couple of years ago, I set my description on both Twitter and Pinterest to a quote; one from Peter Pan: 


"Think of all the Joy you'll find when you leave the world behind and bid your cares goodbye."

To be completely honest, I can't recall what made me pick this particular quote for my description, but I haven't changed it in years, and now it's just a staple. Changing it now feels wrong and silly. So I won't change it...not as long as it's still relevant to my life. 

Little did I know, however, that the quote was just the beginning. With the appearance of Colin O'Donoghue in my life, things were about to flip upside down, and now I live in a world partially filled by pirates. There's pirate stuff on my desk, on my shelves, I have pirate inspired clothing and jewelry, not to mention my Hook pants. And did I mention that something as simple as wearing eyeliner came from this whole obsession? Because here's the first time I wore it: 


Why was I wearing eyeliner? If you remember correctly, it was to DisneyBound a very particular character on Once Upon A Time. Good times. Good times indeed. 

And so, as you can see, Peter Pan has actually played a pretty crucial role on my life, whether I like to admit it or not. I still don't really watch Peter Pan very often, nor am I a huge fan of the original novel, but I am quite the fan of a villain-turned-hero that graces my screen every Sunday evening, and I wouldn't have it any other way. 

Have a magical day!

No comments:

Post a Comment