Thursday, June 18, 2015

Day 899: Just a Spoonful of Sugar

I've seen two versions of Mary Poppins so far...well, now I've seen three...and I can't wait to see another production later this summer, but it all goes to prove just how much I love this musical. Mary Poppins has something special for me, and while I can't quite put on my finger on why, I would see a production of this one long before many other musicals out there. 



This time, it wasn't on broadway and it wasn't put on by a high school, but rather a cast at the Chanhassen Dinner Theatre in Minnesota, where I attended a performance on the band trip. Now, for those of you that don't know, the Chanhassen is an experience unlike most theatre shows, as you arrive roughly an hour or two before the show for a meal and then experience the show from your seat at your table. Dessert arrives during intermission as well, so it really is a complete dining experience mixed with a show. That being said, I was more impressed with my dessert than anything else. Don't get me wrong, the food was good, and I probably feel that way because with my lactose intolerance it was in my best interest to order the chicken tenders, but I was impressed with how everything else looked! And when it came to dessert I was thrilled to find a dairy-free option on the menu as well, which I promptly ordered. It was a lactose-free chocolate cake and it was 100% delicious. 

As for the show, however, I felt like it just fell a bit flat for me. Mary Poppins is an astonishing show, especially when it comes to the special effects that most productions include. However, due to the small size of the venue, which you can see in a picture below, many of those effects were impossible. Most noteworthy? Mary Poppins flying over the audience. Obviously it was pretty impossible to get a rig into such a small theater to do so, but it's just not quite the same without that extra element. 


There were other little things that bothered me too, but nothing to ruin the entire show. Overall, per usual, I loved it, and for the band members also on the trip who hadn't seen the musical before, I know for a fact that it was just as inspiring and heartwarning as the first time I saw it years ago. 

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on June 25 due to Travel).

No comments:

Post a Comment