Thursday, June 25, 2015

Day 906: Best Day of My Life

It's been a year and I still don't think I believe that I marched down Main Street U.S.A.

June 25 will always be an important day for me, probably right up there with other important days of the year like my birthday or Christmas, because on June 25, 2014, I fulfilled my dream of marching in the Magic Kingdom, and even now, a year later, it still hits home. I can honestly say that not a day has gone by that I haven't thought about that parade. I think about it all the time. Whenever I'm feeling a bit let down about how much work it takes to upkeep a daily blog or weekly YouTube videos. I thought of it every second of the way through editing the band trip video for our trip to Walt Disney World. I think of it when I'm happy and when I'm sad and when the powers that work against me almost succeed, but June 25 is an important day, and I still can't thank the powers that be enough for making this possible.



I went back and read my blog post that corresponds with that day a year ago, which you can read HERE, and it's in that post that I talk about how, by some strange twist of fate, it was my dream that came true. I'm not sure if I've ever really talked about this in depth, but this seems like a great time for it.

Wishes.

I faintly remember the show previous to Wishes, and as a kid in awe of Illuminations, I really didn't think much of it. But when we learned we were going to audition for Disney Performing Arts, I would stand almost nightly by my window and listen to Wishes. Or if I was driving home from school late one night, maybe after a football or basketball game, I would turn on the soundtrack and sing along, wishing with all my heart that maybe, just maybe, it would be my dream that comes true.

People in our world are negative. I've said it time and time again. So many don't believe in wishes. We're raised to believe that the only thing that gets us anywhere is hard work. And I'm not saying that's not true. I worked incredibly hard in my years with the High School Band, and I continue to work hard on a daily basis. But hard work means nothing without a dream behind it to help push us forward.

There's a moment near the end of Wishes, right after the Blue Fairy appears, where she says "Remember, we must always believe in our wishes. For they are the magic in the world. Now, let's all put our hearts together and make a wish come true." When I stood in the Magic Kingdom that night, only hours after the parade, others were merely concerned about the fireworks. I know there were some simply happy from the thrill rides and experiences with their friends. Even my fellow drum major, as I went around asking everyone their favorite part of the day, commented that her favorite part was leading the band in the parade.

But I never actually answered my own question, and for those of you in the SHS Band, go check out the video. Of everyone in the band, I never give an answer, because to be honest I don't think I could do it without tears appearing again, much like they are now. But I'll tell you now. My favorite part of the day was the moment when everyone DID put their hearts together and made a wish come true.

For those of you out there wishing tonight, keep wishing. My heart's in it for you now.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment