Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Day 1101: Traveling HAL


By now I think we're all familiar with my dear laptop HAL9000, and if you're not, long story short, he's the perfect embodiment of his name. Constantly dying in some way or another (our current struggle is the battery), but when it comes down to it, I love HAL, because without my laptop, life gets pretty hard, and aside from a terrifying finals week experience, few moments showcase this more than when I'm traveling.

Back in High School, I'd almost always have my laptop with me when I headed on a vacation, regardless of where I was going, and now, when I head on Band Trips, the laptop comes along so I can gather all the pictures and video on my computer and back them up day by day. However, for the past few trips to Walt Disney World and Disneyland, I've left good old HAL at home. After all, I have plenty of other stuff to carry anyways, and with me spending as much time as possible in the Disney Parks, I don't really have time to sit down and do any work on my laptop.

This does, on the other hand, mean that it's pretty hard for me to blog. I do bring along Honey Lemon, my iPad, in an attempt to get some work done (and usually that amounts to work on video scripts if anything), but blogging is much more difficult on an iPad than it is on a laptop. It just doesn't function as well in that format, although I can make it work. Usually, I turn around and put the blog on hold until I return and then I go back and bring in some key highlights of the trip to make up the blog posts that correspond with the days I'm away, and I like to think it works pretty well.

I debated bringing HAL this trip, but eventually decided against it for one key reason: I do have work to do while in Florida. There's videos to film and pictures to take, but I'm also there for a chillcation with one of my best friends, and I've been reminded time and time again over the past few days that I should just have some good old fun. I've spent the last week and a half staring at my laptop all day long, so me leaving HAL at home is me leaving the work behind too. I can deal with real life later.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment