Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Day 1115: Growing Up Disney


The six weeks of J-Term/Christmas Break have really been a time of reflection and thought for me. After the stress that piled up last semester and throughout the last couple of months, I was forced to really ponder the choices I had made, as well as the ones I am making, and I really came to the conclusion that I take a lot of my life for granted, which I think I mentioned briefly in a previous post. 

Nonetheless, it also got me thinking about all the things in my life I have and do take for granted. Many of them, obviously, rotate around my family vacations to Walt Disney World, such as going to the parks themselves or, more importantly, air travel. I've grown up in airports, and I now realize that many people my age have never even been on a plane. If they have, it's usually only once or twice, and I lost count years ago of how many flights I've actually been on. Likewise, I've been ordering off a menu and putting napkins on my lap since I was about three, so restaurants are a part of my nature as well. 

Even closer to home, however, there are still unique and extraordinary things that I've grown up with, like living nearby an NFL team. The Packers aren't the center of my universe, but I realized recently in a sort of ridiculous way that people from all over Wisconsin (and the world) are Packers fans, not just those of us who live near Green Bay. I grew up in the country in a large house, and even more so, my family ran a business, meaning somewhat flexible hours for both of my parents while some of my fellow students attended after school programs or were on their own until their parents actually got home after work. We took consistent trips to Milwaukee and Chicago and Door County and other nearby tourist locations, and even my time spent so near to Lake Michigan feels like a privilege. 

Long story short, as I headed to Walt Disney World this January I really thought about the ways that Disney has impacted the "normal" that is my everyday life, and I encourage you to do the same the next time you're in the parks too. After all, if it hadn't been for my trip to Disneyland, I'd never have watched Star Wars, and if not for my time spent listening to IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth, I might not be a music major. What would my life be like if Disney wasn't such a key part of my life? 

What would yours be like? 

Have a magical day! 


(Note: This blog post was written on January 25 due to travel).

No comments:

Post a Comment