Thursday, January 21, 2016

Day 1116: Turkish Delights


Saying goodbye never gets any easier, so that's why I tend to say that it's not goodbye at all, but rather "see ya real soon." You, my blog readers, probably recognize this as a common response from our favorite mouse, Mickey, but it's the only way I could ever get myself to leave Disney, with the knowledge that somehow, I'd be returning. I've come to a point now that I'm starting to have to say very real "see ya real soons," especially as my friends from college head off into the real world, even if just for a semester. 

Jessica, on the left in the above picture, is heading to Italy for a semester of studying abroad, and I couldn't be more excited for her and the adventures she's sure to have. Personally, I'm unable to study abroad due to the number of credits I need in order to fulfill the requirements for both of my majors, but I absolutely understand the importance of travel, especially at a time like this in our lives, when responsibilities like school and literally take place in the place we travel. It doesn't make the farewells any easier, to know that she's about to go off and have the time of her life while I'm stuck here doing pretty much the same thing I've always done, but she'll be back soon enough, and in the meantime, there's plenty of memories to recall, including one of our last before she walked out our door for the last time before heading to Italy. 

After forgetting a sweatshirt, Jessica ended up coming back to our new apartment with food in hand, specifically a treat brought back by a friend who lives in Europe. We agreed quickly to try out chocolates with her, because who turns down something like that, and were pleasantly surprised to find two varieties of sweets before us: a chocolate and a powdery sort of confection that we were unsure of. 

The chocolate was indeed delicious, as are most things from Europe, but as we moved onto the second, covered in powdered sugar, we couldn't help but think of The Chronicles of Narnia. If you remember, in one of the films, Edmund is basically addicted to Turkish Delight, and after a comment from Jessica about the treat, I double checked the box, only to realize that it was, indeed, Turkish Delight! 


After trying it out we looked up what it's made of, because if you've ever eaten Turkish Delight, it's a pretty weird experience. We're even more confused about the treat now though, because apparently it doesn't taste good half the time and this stuff was delicious. It seems Edmund knew what he was talking about. 

Either way, I still have a chocolate on my desk that Jessica shared with me, and it has plans to stay there until she comes back...or at least until I give into the temptation to eat it. If you want to check out some of Jessica's Adventures as she tours across Italy, you can follow her own blog HERE!

Have a magical day and Jessica, the best of luck in Italy! 


(Note: This blog post was written on January 25 due to travel).


No comments:

Post a Comment