Thursday, January 28, 2016

Day 1123: The First Backup System


I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've been sitting in a class and Disney pops up...only it doesn't. Well, it does in my mind, even if the actual topic of discussion is miles away from anything that seems related to Disney. Today's victim of Disneyization (Yes it's a word I just made up): Geography.

This semester I'm fulfilling a couple of general education credits by taking a geography course immediately followed by an Environment and Society course, and during a recent discussion, my professor was telling us about how Geographers have been around for a long, long time. He put up a slide relating cultures that relied on Geography in the past, including the Greeks, Romans, Arabs, Germans, British and so on. At first I didn't think much of it, but as he went on to describe how Arabs are extremely important to Geography, my ears perked up and thoughts began to align.

The Romans, of course, learned from the Greeks, and contributed significantly to Geography, building a system of roads all over the known world. Sounding familiar yet? My professor then went on to explain how the Arabs helped save many of the documents that were thought to be lost when Christianity took over Europe, such as when the Library of Alexandra was burned.

And then it all clicked. Of course I thought, realizing that the Greeks, Romans and Arabs were obviously all important to Geography along with many other areas of study, as they provided the first backup system, or at least that's what it's called on Spaceship Earth. Oh yes, because of my love of Spaceship Earth, I instantly completely understood exactly what my professor was trying to say, and now it's a portion of the class that I won't forget any time soon, if ever.

Maybe I should relate all of my classes to Disney...

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment