Saturday, February 6, 2016

Day 1132: Before the Blog: FBLA


I realized that while I'm entering my 4th year of blogging, there's a whole lot of my life that came before Everyday Disney, and so much of it was focused on Disney. A while back I did a post titled "Before the Blog," where I discussed where I draw the line for what "Everyday" means for my blog. However, after chaperoning for FBLA this weekend I recalled that in all the blog posts I've written, I don't know if I've ever mentioned, or at least discussed in length, the Disney connection I have to FBLA.

In 2011, my FBLA adviser suggested to me that I should join Future Business Leaders of America, as it would most certainly benefit me professionally, but also for one key reason: nationals that year was in Orlando, and we all know what else is in the Orlando area. I obviously did end up joining FBLA, particularly participating in Public Speaking, although I had literally no clue what I was doing. I ended up writing a speech about public speaking, of all things, and it led me from Regionals and onto State. Much to my surprise, I took first place at State too, advancing me on to the National Convention in Orlando that had gotten me into the organization in the first place. We did head to Disney World on that trip, and you'll have to excuse young Lizzie in the picture above. Turns out I've changed a lot in 5 years or so...



That was a sort of odd trip for me though, as it was the first I'd taken in the summer, the first one I stayed (at least part of the time) at a hotel off property (that I remember), and also one of my first experiences with other Orlando area attractions aside from Disney. I loved every second of my FBLA Nationals experience, although I still definitely wouldn't trade my time at Disney for anything else.

But I think more than anything else, this trip holds a special place in my heart because I got to experience Disney with my Adviser's son and many of my friends from FBLA. That's not an experience you have everyday, and it's one of the reasons I love trips like these so much. Even though I wasn't going somewhere I'd never been before, I created memories that I'd never be able to create on a solo trip or a trip with my family, and that's what lasts in the long run.

I'm definitely hoping to do more of these "Before The Blog" posts in the future though! There's a lot of my life that's been filled with Disney long before I started blogging, and while those "everydays" may have been in the past, it doesn't mean they're completely irrelevant now!

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment