Friday, January 25, 2013

Day 25: Little Things



Today was our first day of the new semester...meaning that it was pretty laid back and overall unstressful...for once.

I did have two "magical moments" today though, both focusing around my Physics class. Because it is Friday and it really would be senseless to start something completely new on a Friday, our teacher decided that we would watch a movie on the efforts to put man in space and then on the moon.

This movie started great...well, the whole thing was great, but still. Of course, it started with a brief intro that ended with the title of the movie and a quote...direct recording from the moon landing. "Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed."

That quote got my attention, and without really thinking I said the quote along with the movie. It's one I know by heart, just as I know one from both JFK and Martin Luther King Jr. Why? The American Adventure.

During Golden Dream, on the soundtrack there are three quotes. The first, as I said, from JFK. "And so my fellow Americans. Ask not, what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world, ask not, what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." The second from Martin Luther King Jr. "I have a dream this afternoon, that the brotherhood of man will become a reality in this day, with this faith. " And finally from the moon landing, "3 feet down, 2 and a half, picking up some dust.  For forward, for forward, just into the right a little, contact light, ok, engine stop. We copy you down eagle. Tranquility base here, the Eagle has landed."

All three quotes are engraved into my brain, and I guess maybe this attraction is why I find such an interest in history. I feel that those three quotes share three of the most important moments in our nations history. They come from a time filled with worry and war and inequality, but the last one proves that we as Americans can do anything if we work together for the better of man.

The second moment I had during that video was later, when they were counting down to the blastoff for one of the first flights into space. Between the music and the setting and the counting, it suddenly reminded me of Space Mountain. I'm sure we're not the only ones to do this, but my brother and I ALWAYS count down to "blastoff" as we go up the initial climb on Space Mountain. Every single time. I guess the music and the countdown in the video reminded me of that, and it made me pretty happy.

So those were my magical moments of the day, and I wonder, did you have any?

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment