Friday, October 11, 2013

Day 284: To Cory


Tonight, after going to the football game at my high school, I watched Glee. But not just any episode of Glee...the Cory Monteith tribute episode. I knew a couple of weeks ago I wasn't going to be ready to watch it, but I would have to watch it sometime, right? And better sooner than later probably. So I did. 

And I cried. And cried. And cried some more. 

Honestly, you don't think you're going to cry. At least not that much. I knew I was going to cry, but I wasn't expecting to cry five minutes in...and then about 15 times after that. I just sat and stared at the tv and cried for an hour. 

I think the worst part about it was just the fact that no matter how little of Glee you've watched, you still have a favorite Finn moment. I think mine is probably just how much of a team leader he was. I didn't watch Glee until halfway through season 2, so I don't really have anything before that, and I'm still fuzzy on what all went on, but there were just all these times when he would be there for other people. He really was the quarterback. 

And even if you haven't watched Glee, it's still going to make an impact on you because here's a person who made such an impact on a group of people, on and off screen, and you're watching them as people and characters grieve for their friend. It's just absolutely awful. Such a powerful episode, but awful to think that they're dealing with that. That this young man, Cory, is never going to come back. Never be on the show again. He's gone forever. And that's scary. 

Think about it! On the show, Finn is 19. I'm 18. He was a Freshman in college. That's what I am. What would happen if one of my closest friends died, or what would they do if I died. It's scary to think. How would I react? How would we react? It's terrible to think about. 

But what's really interesting is that this is a huge impact on anyone who watches the show. I'll never forget where I was when I found out that he had passed away. I was actually at Disney. It was July 13th, which I remember because that's also Harrison Ford's birthday, but I was in my room at Bay Lake Tower on my bed and was just quickly checking Twitter when all of a sudden everything blew up with his name. I checked it out by finding a CNN report that confirmed he had been found dead. It was just pure shock I had at the moment. And for a while I didn't believe it. In fact, I feel like I didn't believe it until I watched this episode. 

Maybe I still don't believe it. 

Here's today's Disney History: 1955: Ticket Books (At a cost of $2.50 per adult, $2.00 per junior and $1.50 per child) are available for the very first time at the new Disneyland theme park. "A Day at Disney" contains three A, two B, and three C tickets (D tickets won't be added until the following year and E tickets in 1959). 

Have a magical day, and always remember Cory.



No comments:

Post a Comment