Saturday, March 9, 2013

Day 68: Playing the Saxophone

As I mentioned yesterday, today my jazz band headed to a nearby city to perform at a jazz festival...and while originally I was under the impression that it would be a terrible day, it turned out to be one of the best days ever.

We headed out early in the morning, as we were the first group to perform in our room, and everything went alright. Well, it went as good as I figured it would, but then my band director, being the brilliant person he is, suggested that our clinicians, a trumpet professor, a student teacher who specializes in percussion and a professional saxophonist (Eric Marienthal), join us and play with us for the last five minutes of our time. Now, I initially thought that Eric would go to sit in the second row next to one of our altos that was playing a trombone part, but no...he grabbed a chair and sax right next to me...and read off MY part! I was literally freaking out...or at least as much as I can when he's sitting right next to me. And so we played part of one of our songs, and it was the most fun I have ever had in all of Jazz Band...probably in all of my time playing music period. It was only a couple of minutes but it was great!!! We went back for pictures..as you can see below, I couldn't really stop smiling.





I also got into the All Star Band, meaning that I got to practice a song with a select group for under and hour and then perform it during a concert for everyone attending the festival. It was also an amazing experience, and after that we had the privilege of listening to the professionals play...and that was simply amazing. I 100% suggest that if you are into music and have the opportunity to hear a professional play like that...do it, especially if it's something you love, just as Jazz is for me.

And you know, it always helps when the professionals were both members of the Disneyland Band back in the day. I thought that was just awesome.

Here's today's Disney History: 2001: Disney Channel's original movie, The Luck of the Irish, airs. A teenager must battle for a gold charm to keep his family from being controlled by an evil leprechaun. It will be the network's highest-rated original movie in the past three years.

Have a magical day!




No comments:

Post a Comment