Thursday, March 21, 2013

Day 80: Music for Band

Each year, my band has the seniors choose one selection for our final concert and to play at graduation. I, of course, would love to play a Disney song, specifically one that features each senior in our group, which is easy for us since there are only 5 of us. Either way, it's generally a score from a movie or musical, since last year we did Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, and previously we've done Wicked.

So I've spent some time researching this music and it's interesting to see what's all out there in the world of concert band arrangements of Disney songs. Currently I'm listening to Circle of Life, but earlier I had on Brave. I personally really like Brave because it does feature each section nicely and the idea of the songs and film fit perfectly in line with graduation, so it's certainly a possibility.

But I wanted to say that someone should write a great jazz arrangement of Everybody Wants to Be a Cat. You'd think there would be one out there, but there really isn't, and it's the one song I really wish my jazz band could play because it would just be so entertaining, especially since my best friend's favorite Disney movie is indeed the Aristocats.

I would also love to see a John Williams arrangement that features everything from Indy to Han Solo and the Princess (especially Han Solo and the Princess). I'd write something myself but I am not that talented and have no where near enough time. I think it would be fun to do something like that someday though.

Now I'm listening to Hollywood Milestones, filled with Beauty and the Beast, Jurassic Park, Apollo 13, Raiders March, Jaws and more. It's quite entertaining to spend all morning doing this.

Here's today's Disney History: 1962: Actor Matthew Broderick, the voice of the adult Simba in Disney's The Lion King, The Lion King II: Simba's Pride and The Lion King 1 1/2, is born in New York City. He also starred in Disney's 1999 live-action feature Inspector Gadget and the 2003 ABC-TV edition of The Music Man, which aired on The Wonderful World of Disney.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment