Monday, April 15, 2013

Day 105: Little Things: FBLA Edition

Once again, I'm writing at a later date, but this one really does have reference to particular day and experiences I had! On the day this article was supposed to be written (and is dated as such), I was smack dab in the middle of my Future Business Leaders of America state competition...which is, was, and would be my final FBLA competition...unless I go back to help next year, but this was it for competing.

Anyway, we spent three days at Wisconsin Dells for the event, and there were several little things present throughout those days that really had references to Disney. The last time I did a "little things" post was back in January, when I talked about the references in my Physics class...but I realize now that "Little Things" could be somewhat of a normal post, because in reality, there are many small details in our lives that remind us of Disney...at least there are for those who are as into the company and parks as I am.

So here's a few things at the FBLA State Leadership Conference that reminded me of Disney:

Off the top of my head, one of the first I can think of was one of the buses we were on. The Dells Center, where all the large events were held, was about a half mile to a mile away, so we had bus shuttling for when we needed to be over there...meaning that multiple times a day we would all crowd onto a school bus for a short trip down a very narrow winding road. It really wasn't all that bad, especially since one time we got on the bus and I immediately thought of two things, and then told my best friend the thoughts that had entered my head. The smell was distinct, and it reminded me of nothing more than a combination of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Spaceship Earth. I don't really know how to describe this smell, other than there was a hint of BBQ sauce stuck in there...but it certainly got my attention and made me think of Disney.

While I didn't take the test itself, a few of my friends competed in an open event and told me there was a question about Disney on the test. I'm honestly not sure what the question was, or if I'd even be allowed to post it online if I did know, but there was a question, and I thought that was really awesome...even if I didn't see it for myself.

My best friend and I also made a small reference to Singin' in the Rain every once and a while. Pretty much every time we were on the bus we started singing Moses from the song...which was just awesome...and each morning we woke to Good Morning playing on my phone. Originally we were going to watch Sleeping Beauty and Brother Bear, but since that didn't happen, it doesn't really count much more than we thought about it.

But I think the most I thought of Disney was with the customer service of the hotel. I'm not saying the hotel was terrible, it was quite enjoyable, but I realized just how many things there are at Disney that we take for granted. The internet was terrible where we were staying, a far cry from the free wifi that works great everywhere on Disney property (especially in the hotels...where it is honestly faster than my wired internet at home...and think! They provide internet for every guest on property...which is way more than any other hotel). Along with this, when we first arrived, we had a group of 15 people and four carts of luggage, and were told that our room wasn't ready and that we wouldn't be able to check in until later...even if our bus was leaving and we had nothing else to do. Now, Disney has similar policies, but it reminded me of when I did go to Disneyland a couple of years ago, and one of my favorite memories was made when we were told our room was ready, traveled up multiple floors and found that it wasn't. We headed back to the lounge and got upgraded to a park view room for free. To this day I wouldn't want to stay in any other room than a park view room at Paradise Pier. I loved seeing World of Color every single night (it is, in every way, my favorite part of Disneyland). That was awesome of Disney to do, and our hotel this past weekend did nothing but argue with our adviser  Every visitor at Disney is a guest, and nothing less. They get the best quality, and if they don't, there's someone there to try and make it more magical anyway.

I'm sure there were a few other things at FBLA that really reminded me of Disney, but those are the main ones in my head, at least at the moment! I can't say for sure if there will be more "Little Things" posts, but something tells me they will make an appearance again.

Here's today's Disney History: 1962: Voice actor Tom Kane is born Thomas Roberts is Overland Park, Kansas. Best known as the voices of Yoda and Admiral Yularen in the TV show Star Wars: The Clone Wars, as of 2012 Kane is the new narrator aboard Walt Disney World's monorail system. His Disney credits also include episodes of Kim Possible.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment