Saturday, April 20, 2013

Day 110: UW Varsity Band

Just as I do every April, I headed down to see the UW Varsity Band Concert at the University of Wisconsin. It's about a two hour drive that we make on a bus with my high school band, and it's always a good time.

So, being the Disney lover I am, I'm always on the look out for Disney portions of the show. There was only one this year, since they did a fairly major Disney section last year (Wisconsin went to the Rose Bowl and that meant Disneyland for everyone!). During a segment called "Toon Tunes," the band performed selections from such cartoons as The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Mighty Mouse and of course...the most important of all...The Mickey Mouse Club. I was videoing at the time, so I couldn't sing or clap along, but I did give my band director a look.

You see, he has this idea in his head that marches are all like the Mickey Mouse Club March...straight eighth notes. I agree, but I'm not too excited about his continuous reference to the song...especially in such an unfavorable light. But I know he's always kidding...and it's made a good joke between us, one that is sure to get interesting if we head to Walt Disney World next summer!

I'll see if I can figure out a video from "Toon Tunes," but here's a picture I just barely got at the concert the other night!



The other thing I found on the trip was during our annual stop to the local mall down in Madison. We always go look though Barnes and Noble, and I just happened to find a few interesting things...including this...



Here's today's Disney History: 1937: Actor George Takei - the voice of FIrst Ancestor in Disney's Mulan and Mulan II - is born in Los Angeles, California. Star Trek fans know him best as Mr. Sulu.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment