Monday, May 27, 2013

Day 147: Memorial Day

It seems that this time of year holds a lot of "lasts," and today is no exception. This morning I marched in my final Memorial Day parade in my hometown, and it was, as all of my senior performances have been, special. I absolutely love my role as drum major, and getting to lead the entire band one last time was a bittersweet moment. I can't express how proud of them I am and how far they've come both over the past four years of my high school career and especially within the last one.

Even in just our Memorial Day Performances, I have noticed a drastic change. We have the parade and then a standstill, and the respect our group showed off this year was great...even if we couldn't decide whether to stand or sit that one time. But the steps were high enough and everyone sounded great. Standing on top of my ladder for the last time, I couldn't help but smile. We were making a lot of people really, really happy.

Having the privilege to direct at that ceremony brought a lot of joy to me, because that's what it was, a privilege. There was a fifth grader who gave an absolutely wonderful speech about her favorite freedom, the freedom of religion, and I totally agreed with her. But her speech encompassed more than just that one freedom. I think she really was talking about all freedom in the words she spoke, and it was honestly the best essay I have ever heard at a Memorial Day Ceremony...and I've heard a lot of those speeches.

Either way, I am very proud to be an American, and I want to take a moment to thank all of our Veterans, fallen soldiers, those currently serving and those who will serve in the future. You keep our freedoms, well, free, and you give everyone great opportunities, including me and my opportunity to lead my band over the past year. Thank you for everything you do.

Here's today's Disney History: 2011: Mickey's Soundsational parade makes its official debut at Disneyland. Yesterday, May 26, guests were given an unannounced preview of the new parade. The nine-float affair kicks off Disney Soundsational Summer, which will also include the openings of The Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure and Star Tours, along with the new experiences at the Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment