Thursday, May 30, 2013

Day 150: Sleeping Beauty Castle

There are some times in my life when I feel like I really would be a great Imagineer, or that I'm at least a little similar to Walt Disney. This is easily one of those times.

It is said that Walt would dream up these ideas that didn't seem possible, but that he had this picture of it in his head, and he wouldn't let go of it. Yeah...that happens to me once and a while. So when my College Credit English Teacher said we were going to read an independent book, my mind turned to Walt Disney right away. I've been reading biographies on him since eighth grade, so it makes sense that for my final book in High School, I'd read one on him again.

I ended up choosing "How to Be Like Walt" by Pat Williams, and I'll do a review of this amazing book as soon as I can. But you see, along with reading the book, we also had to do a project, either create a poster or make a powerpoint or something. I decided on the poster, and in order to create something amazing, I had this idea in my head to expand the definition of a poster and make a 3D poster symbolizing Sleeping Beauty Castle.

According to the project, the poster or presentation had to represent the book somehow, and there was nothing more obvious to me than Sleeping Beauty Castle. Of course, Mickey Mouse, but I feel like Disneyland was completely Walt's dream, as was Disney World. Mickey Mouse was created out of necessity, and while he was extremely important, he wasn't Walt's "dream." That said...I still adore Mickey, I just didn't use him for this project.



My dad and I set to work creating this...well...masterpiece...or monster depending on how you look at it. We were up until four in the morning the night before working on it...not because I didn't start early enough, but because I just didn't have time until the night before. Either way, it got done, and I have to say that it looks pretty awesome.

I even managed to fit all the necessary information onto the poster, and it really brought a smile to my teacher's face when she saw it, which totally made my day. I gave "How to Be Like Walt" four out of four Disneyland flags, which also matched the theme of the poster, and pretty much all the information is in a location that resembles a flag that exists in real life, or did at one point.



Thankfully this was the last of my final projects, because seriously...I was tired. I even had to write a paper after staying up almost all night. But, my vision worked out, and it looks just as I pictured it in my mind...although Megan would say that it lacks some pyrotechnics.

Here's today's Disney History: 2003: The Disney/Pixar animated feature Finding Nemo is generally released. The underwater adventure, directed by Andrew Stanton, features the voices of Alexander Gould as Nemo, Albert Brooks as Marlin, Willem Dafoe as Gill, Ellen DeGeneres as Dory and John Ratzenberer as Fish School.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment