Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Day 163: How to Be Like Walt

Now, I said a while ago that I was going to do this blog post, but I finally got around to it.

If you remember, not that long ago I did a blog post on the Castle I made for my final in English. If you didn't see that post, you can go here to find it, because this won't make a ton of sense if you don't understand why I read it first and what all went on.

But either way, I made that castle for my final project, in which we were to read a book that we chose ourselves. I, in the tradition I've had for a while, read a Disney book. But not just any Disney book. Back in 8th grade I read Walt Disney: An American Original by Bob Thomas, so this time, as my last book to read in Seymour, I chose How to Be Like Walt, by Pat Williams.



I am very glad I decided to read this, because it is, in all honesty, the absolute best book I have ever read on Walt Disney: EVER. I'm not joking. It is a wonderful book, and if you ever have a chance to read it, do it. And if you don't have a chance, make one. It is a must read for anyone who is a serious Disney fan.

The book really takes an in depth look at Walt's life, and it really does so in a great way, starting with his childhood and going all the way to his death. It is not his life necessarily, but stories that I've never heard before, and how we can use Walt as an example on how to be a better person.

I think what really surprised me about the book is how it did make me look closer at my life, and also at how much I am like Walt. It's not to say that I'm "Walt," but just that some of the things I do are things that fit in perfectly with him. For instance, I'd read a story about Walt, and then would think about how there's a similar story in my own life, almost exactly, just with me instead of Walt. And then there are the times when I have a problem in my life, and Walt would have a similar problem in his, and with the example of what he did, it gave me advice on how to live my own life. I will never be Walt Disney, but he is my role model in life, and it was a very inspiring book to read.

And by the end of the book, you will probably cry. The story of the day Walt Disney died is heart wrenching, and I honestly can't even describe it. It doesn't affect one who hasn't read the book the way it does to those who have. Through How to Be Like Walt, you gain a personal connection with him, more than you can ever do by immersing yourself in every other book, movie and theme park.

I gave How to Be Like Walt 4 out of 4 Disneyland flags, because that was the assignment, but honestly I would give it 10 out of 4, because it really was just that excellent.

Here's today's Disney History: 1928: Disney Legend & Oscar-winning songwriter Richard Morton Sherman is born in Manhattan, New York. He and his older brother Robert wrote many memorable songs for countless Disney features and park attractions. Some of their best-known works include songs from Mary Poppins, the Jungle Book, Winnie the Pooh and the Disney theme park song "It's a Small World."

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment