Friday, June 28, 2013

Day 179: Baskets

It's our technical last full day of camp, although we don't leave until tomorrow morning. This morning was super exciting though, since we had an opportunity to do something that I've never done before, and I think it was really awesome.

We got to weave our own baskets! A lady named Kayla came in and taught us how and while it took a bit of patience, it was really a lot of fun. And I really have new respect for baskets because each and every one of them in this world is made by hand. It took time, but it wasn't necessarily hard, and I got it down pretty quickly. My basket isn't perfect, but really it wouldn't be ever because I'm not that talented. Plus, nothing is perfect (that seems to be my new motto recently. I'll have to do a blog post on why sometime after I go to Florida).

You start by getting the reeds wet and then you just start weaving basically. We got to choose which colors we wanted, and I went for the blue and green that I really liked. They are my favorite colors after all. In fact, everything for the week kind of matched too because I did everything kind of Goofy colored. It started with a friendship bracelet that I really still need to finish for myself before I go to Florida so I can wear it when I'm down there.



I honestly think that basket weaving was one of the best things I've ever done at camp because I really loved getting to do something brand new, which kind of goes back to the whole being adventurous thing that I continue to talk about that goes along with my Memoir. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to weave a basket again, because I probably won't have the resources, but that was seriously a ton of fun and I do HOPE that I will get to do it again someday.

Here's today's Disney History: 1988: The opening of Disney's Grand Floridian Beach Resort ushers in an era of accelerated hotel building at WDW, during which 10 new resort hotels have been added to date. The Grand Floridian is the third Magic Kingdom monorail resort located on the beaches of the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Polynesian Resort and the Magi Kingdom.

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment