Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Day 316: Supersize Me

Currently my best friend is working on a paper for one of her classes here at SNC. Now, I'm not totally sure what the entire assignment is, but she's writing it on the film Supersize Me. Now, it's been a heck of a long time since I watched this movie, so I have it playing while I write this blog post, mostly as a refresher, since it's already 11 and I don't really intend to spend the next hour and a half watching a movie about someone who eats McDonalds for an entire year. In the approach of extreme habit changes I much prefer the books by A.J. Jacobs (I recently read A Year of Living Biblically and actually loved it). 

Anyways, the movie begins with this whole part on how our country is obese, which I believe. I've believed it since I watched this movie back in middle school (yes, that was like 6-7 years ago now, meaning that this isn't a new film). The documentary as a whole is about the dangers of eating fast food and what it can do to you, specifically the food served at McDonalds. Personally I don't eat at McDonalds a lot, other than when I get my coffee from there when the coffee shop on campus is closed (which means mostly Sunday morning). 

But I'm sure you're wondering where Disney comes into all of this, I mean, this is a blog about Disney, after all. Well, the main person (honestly I don't know what his name is at this point and time) decides to eat nothing but McDonalds for an entire month. I thought this was a bad idea in middle school, and I still think it's a bad idea, although I do find the entire thing interesting. But in the process of this journey he also offers a bunch of propaganda and facts about the fast food industry. My best friend sent me one of these pieces of propaganda today when she was working on her paper, and I figured I would share it. 


Obviously this is a parody of the last supper, only with Ronald McDonald and other cartoon characters. Now, I often times find myself laughing at Disney jokes, much like this is intended to be. A little bit of humor here and there is fine, but this is ridiculous. 

I'll admit, at the time this particular documentary premiered, I believe McDonalds still served within the Disney Parks. I always remember there being a French Fry stand in Frontierland near or exactly where the Pirates Adventure thing is now. I didn't really go over there this last trip so I can't really tell you for sure on that one. Either way, within the past few years, Disney has decreased it's sponsorship with McDonalds, in fact, they've cut it off completely (or almost completely...there is still a McDonalds on property, just not on property). This is a great step for Disney to take, and the food that's at Disney now is probably a lot better quality than any McDonalds. Ok, so maybe it's still not healthy, but at least it's not McDonalds. It tastes good at least...and has real vegetables. 

Back to the picture. Why do I find this so offensive? I honestly think it's ridiculous whenever people showcase Disney characters with the other cartoons represented in that picture. They're totally different. Disney has produced CLEAN Family entertainment for a long long time (we're not getting into things like Peter Pan and the differences in culture...that's another discussion). If you look at the other cartoons in the picture, that's not something they can all say. The Simpsons? Since when have they provided clean family entertainment? I mean, I guess I watched it as a while as a kid, and I'll watch it once and a while today yet, but that never was something that was really worthwhile watching. It was just a bunch of dirty jokes and killing and such. And then the rest of the characters, are they any different? 

Ok, I get it. Some people have a problem with my theory and then talk a bit about how Disney uses their own characters to lure people into the parks, and for a lot of people, that is how they see Disney. But that's not how I see Disney, because under the surface that's not what it is. 

When Disney released the whole Habit Heroes thing at Epcot, there was all this big thing about how Disney shouldn't be promoting something like that because they're not any better because of their hotdogs and popcorn and unhealthy options, but honestly that's NOT what Disney is. If you want serious, healthy food, it's there, and you don't have to look very hard to find it. And unlike other theme parks, Disney does offer free ice water at any restaurant, you just have to ask. 

And you know what, I first stopped drinking soda at the Disney parks. I kid you not. A few years ago I told myself I wasn't going to drink any soda while on my Disney trip, and I almost did it (I ended up drinking a bit of Cherry Coke at the end of the trip because, well, someone needed to drink it before we left). And when I got home I just didn't drink soda as much. And then when I became Lactose Intolerant I got even better with it. And now I guess I drink enough coffee because I'm a stereotypical college student, but other than that I eat a lot healthier (although I have one soft spot...Culvers' Cheese Curds). 

So I ask you again. Why is that picture so offensive, especially now? It's because it no longer represents what Disney says about food. As we speak the Food & Wine Festival is coming to a close at Epcot, and while there are probably millions of calories eaten there, at least that was real food. Disney doesn't actively represent McDonalds anymore, and I don't think we'll ever see Mickey Mouse sit at the same table as Ronald McDonald again. 

Also, after watching this documentary (only like a half hour so far), I feel really, really healthy. 


Frumpstagram today was all about Where's Pe....Oh, I found him! Took me a couple minutes to find a picture of Perry anywhere, since I never use Disney pictures that aren't mine (except for on very special occasions). But I did eventually find one!

Here's today's Disney History: 2011: The world premiere of The Muppets takes place at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, California. The first Muppets theatrical release in 12 years, as well as the first Disney-produced Muppets film since the 1997 Muppet Treasure Island, The Muppets will be released in the United States on November 23.

Have a magical day...and don't eat McDonalds. 



No comments:

Post a Comment