Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 319: A Miniature World Showcase

This is a post that I've been meaning to do for some time now. Since I've come to college actually, or at least since a month after I've come to college and the food rotation started over. You heard at least once before about some of the food that we have here at St. Norbert, when I talked about the Butterfinger Cupcakes back on day 252. If you click on the 252 you can go read that post. =)

Anyways, the food we have here is wonderful. And I mean wonderful. I love it. Not quite as much as I love food from Disney, but it's still certainly good, and here's yet another parallel between Disney and my own caf here on campus. This entire week was "cultural week" as far as food goes, meaning that every day they had food from a different country. So let's get started, shall we?

Monday: Ireland


As I'm sure you can guess, I thought this day was totally awesome and kind of freaked out...and then tweeted pictures of my food to Colin O'Donoghue. Honestly if I do study abroad I want to go to Ireland, and if this is the kind of stuff I'll get to eat...I'm good. What we have here is Irish Beef Stew, Colcannon (which is potatoes and greens together), Homemade Soda Bread and Homemade Tri Berry Marmalade. Everything was seriously delicious. 

Tuesday: El Salvador



I really wish I had been more hungry on this day because there was just so much food and I did not have enough room in my stomach to eat it all. On this Tuesday we have Salvadoran Papusa, which is a thick corn tortilla with tradition fillings. I have no clue what the other stuff is though, although I think the top left is avocado with shrimp salsa or something like that. They incited local chefs of that cuisine to cook some of the food, so they didn't have a full list of the stuff we'd be eating on the promotional sheet they put on the tables. That's what I have a picture of. Either way, this food from El Salvador was great!

Wednesday: Caribbean



Yo ho! Yo ho! A Pirates Life for me! Wait...if Colin O'Donoghue plays Captain Hook, and Colin is Irish, does that mean that pirates eat Irish food too? Huh, I must really be eating the food of swashbucklers this week! The food from the Caribbean was wonderful, just as the last two days, and featured something we actually have quite often in our caf, Caribbean Chicken Breast with Mango Salsa and Red Rice!

Thursday: France



We actually have this meal quite often as well, but that doesn't make it any less special! From France we had Coq au Vin, which is chicken breasts in a red wine garlic sauce (they were SOOOOOO good), French Cassoulet, a hearty strew with ham, potatoes & carrots, Warm Baguette with Herb Butter and French Lemon Cheesecake. Oh, and they even had Oreo Fluff, which I totally count as an attempt at Grey Stuff. It's like someone in the kitchen knows all about what the Grey Stuff is and how it's delicious! 

Friday: Japan



The final day of our cultural food week was food from Japan, and that means SUSHI!!!! Now while I personally felt the sushi was a little bit dry (I happen to like mine with more filling and less rice), it was still delicious...and it made me realize that I wanted more sushi. So that's what my family had for dinner this weekend when I went home! 

In general, the entire week was kind of like this miniature World Showcase for lunch. I mean, we always have some sort of cultural food at the station called Fusion in our caf, but this week was just really awesome. On Wednesday they also had Native American Flute Music being played by a live performer from the area, and I really wish I had a recording of it to share with you because it set just the right tone for everything. It actually really reminded me of Epcot music that plays throughout World Showcase, especially right before Illuminations. 

I'm sure you'll hear more about the food our caf continuously has in the future, because there are other meals that do have Disney references stuck in as well, and I can't wait to actually remember to take a picture of them and share them here on my blog. 

 

Frumpstagram today was Chandy Candy, and thankfully I've got a ton of pictures of lights, unlike a couple of the previous days where I had absolutely nothing. This happens to be not only one of the first lights I found, but also one of my favorite. You can find it on the top floor of Bay Lake Tower right by the Elevators, meaning that it's something I saw just about every day on my last trip (just kidding, I did see it everyday...kind of had to because I passed it at least twice a day).

Here's today's Disney History: 2008: At WDW, Disney's Contemporary Resort opens the Contempo Cafe. 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment