Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 325: Fantasia

Since I'm a music major, it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that I listen to a lot of music, and I have an appreciation for such things. It also shouldn't surprise you that we listened to a bunch of songs this morning in my music theory class. And lastly, it certainly shouldn't surprise you when I tell you what one of these songs was.

If you're a huge Disney fan, or just really love Fantasia, I'm sure you're going through the list of possible songs that we could have listened to, but I won't keep you waiting. I mean, if I put the video on here now you can listen to the music while reading the rest of this post! Just open it in a different tab and listen while you read!

Oh...and ignore the French at the beginning. It was the only recording I could find with the entire segment, and I really wanted to include the entire thing. I really just had it for the music purpose.


If you haven't figured it out yet, we listened to a portion of the Nutcracker Suite in class this morning, and I legitimately pulled out my planner and wrote down "Fantasia" as today's blog post, which you are obviously reading at this moment. 

It's kind of funny because at the moment this song is just about everything, although I suppose that's to be expected since many consider it a Christmas thing. I guess it kind of is, but I like the way Disney has it done, with the different seasons. It brings out a different quality in the music I think. 

I mean, we listened to it this morning in class, a bit of it is in one of our songs for Wind Ensemble (which you'll hear about in almost exactly two weeks again), and last year for our Christmas Concert in High School we played it as well. Of course my favorite part is the Arabian Nights, since that has a solo for oboe and I played that last year and it was just a lot of fun. I remember that we did watch it though, Fantasia that is, the Nutcracker Segment, because when I went to Disney in November of last year (actually I was there a year ago exactly), I was walking through the Great Movie Ride Queue and, of course, on the screen they have the previews for the different movies playing, and one of them that happened to come up when I was walking through was Fantasia featuring the Nutcracker Suite. I filmed a bit of it and put it in my vlog for that day too, just to remind myself that the band should watch it. 

And this morning, when we were sitting in music theory, we were all like "This sounds so familiar" and then our professor told us what it was and we were all like "OHHHH" and then, being the Disney fans we all are, we were all like "All we can think about is Fantasia." 

Oh, and if you were wondering, we listened to the section that's representing fall and then goes into Winter, which beings around 10:30 in the video. =)

 
It's already day 21 of Frumpstagram? What is this!?! Anyway, today's prompt was "Mountains," and I really wanted to include all four of the WDW Mountains, but my phone was being absolutely ridiculous and would not let me stay on Facebook long enough to get the pictures I needed, much less load them in the first place. So I had to settle just for the big three, which is fine I suppose since I love all of them and can't wait to share them with my friends next June!



Here's today's Disney History: 2008: Disney's 47th animated feature Bolt (a CGI animated film) is released. The film centers around Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) - a white German Shepherd who has lived all his life on the set of a TV show in which he portrays a superhero dog, and as a result thinks that his superpowers are real. 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment