Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 927: 5 Year Plan

When you approach the end of High school and go through college and into job interviews, there seems to be one question that always pops up: "What's Your 5 Year Plan?"

To be completely honest, I've never had an official job interview...at least not yet. I actually have two jobs, both of which are on campus working with professors who approached me and gave me more of a surprise "Would you be interested in doing this?" sort of interview. No questions about 5 or 10 year plans, at least mostly. For my second job my professor did ask me what I intend to do once I finish my schooling here at St. Norbert, and for the most part, that's a question I seem to get almost daily. The answer comes in two parts, the first of which is always the same: "Work for Disney." The second half of the answer, on the other hand, changes every time I give it, because of course everyone asks me what I'm going to do once I get to Disney. My answer ranges from something in music to Imagineering to writing for the Disney Blog, and overall, I do believe I'd be happy anywhere in the company.

But when it comes to a 5 year plan in general, it's absolutely one of the hardest questions in the world, at least if you ask me. Five years previous to now I was sitting in between my Freshman and Sophomore years of High school. Everyday Disney wouldn't come along for another two and a half years, I hadn't been to Disneyland yet, Once Upon A Time would start over a year later, Star Wars wasn't even a thought for me, and in reality, the idea of working for Disney for the rest of my life was as far off as possible. Back then I always answered that I wasn't going to work for Disney, as it wasn't until halfway through my senior year that I really realized that Disney is the only place I'd be happy.

Never in a million years could I have predicted five years ago that I'd be where I am now, sitting at my college writing the 927th blog post about Disney, planning videos for later this summer, thinking about a SECOND trip to Disneyland, obsessing over Colin O'Donoghue, counting down to the premiere of Star Wars: Episode 7, and trying to figure out which coast I'll apply for on the Disney College Program in just under two years. So to think about where I could be in Five years seems impossible. I texted my friend just last week about how I don't know when this became my life, but I'm absolutely glad it did. I have so much to look forward to, in school, college, fandoms, Disney, and overall life, which, as I previously stated, I could have never imagined just a few years ago.

And in my opinion, sometimes it's good to take a moment to stop and remember where we've come from to remind us how we can Keep Moving Forward.

Have a magical day!


(Note: This Blog Post was written on July 20 due to technical difficulties). 

No comments:

Post a Comment