Sunday, July 19, 2015

Day 930: Bedtime Story

As I was rewatching The Astronaut Wives Club with Megan this week, we came across an AT&T Commercial that suddenly made me frantically search for the commercial on the internet and babble on about Spaceship Earth while Megan sat confused about what I could be going on about now. Before I explain exactly why this commerical quickly found it's way into a blog post, you should probably see which commerical I'm referring to:



Let me say first off that I searched long and hard for a picture or video to help explain why this commercial made me think of Disney, but I couldn't find one. However, I do find it humorous that this happens to be an AT&T ad, as they were the previous sponsor of Spaceship Earth, which just happened to be the sponsor at the time of the reference. For those of you who remember the previous version of my favorite attraction, narrated by Jeremy Irons, you'll probably flash back to some of the most recognizable music for Epcot fans. I grew up on this version of Spaceship Earth and was definitely sad when it changed to the version we have now (not that I'm not a fan of the current version...it's just different). 

Anyway, back in that version of Spaceship Earth, towards the end of the attraction, you might remember the futuristic city, which was preceeded by a series of smaller displays of technology that was, at that time, felt futuristic and like a symbol of what was yet to come. As we grow further and further away from that version of the attraction, my memory grows more fuzzy, but I do remember one of those little displays happened to be a mother reading her children a bedtime story via a skype-like system. There were other displays of the same nature, all of which disappeared when they updated the attraction in 2007. It might still be there, simply covered by a black curtain, and I honestly hope it is, but for now it'll just have to live on in our memory. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the above commercial is a pretty decent representation of what I'm talking about. Just picture it on a smaller scale in Spaceship Earth. 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment