Sunday, September 6, 2015

Day 979: Faith and Trust

As I'm sure you could tell if you went back and read many of my blog posts from the two and a half years of Everyday Disney, I've learned a lot about trust since January of 2013. I honestly believe that when I started this blog I was a lot more trusting of others than I am now. The events that occurred at the beginning of my Freshman Year of college...actually all my freshman year of college...deeply impacted me, and definitely affected my friends here at college. I was wary of so many people for so long, some of which I'm lucky to call great friends now.

Trust, you see, is a difficult thing. It changes over time, and some of us just become more trusting than others. It's a delicate balance between trusting too little and trusting too much, but there are times that one just sort of needs to let go and let things be. Megan and Ashley did a great job of letting go and trusting me in our two Disney trips. It was always busy, and I pretty much had everything planned, but they knew that I knew what I was doing. I was going to get them where they wanted (and needed) to be even if they didn't know it until after it happened. Even more amazing? In June I managed to do it for five other people, and we turned out just fine. Ashley will be doing it again in a few months, although she's going to have a lot more say in our Operation Dole Whip Trip, but you'll find out more about that later.

However, I do have a few things coming up that require others to trust in me. Now feels like a great time for a song from The Jungle Book, even if they really just need to watch Peter Pan, but that's beside the point. I'm planning a trip with several of my friends, or at least I hope I am, and I think there's a good portion of many of us that already feels the tension. Several of them have never been to Disney World before, just as Megan and Ashley hadn't before the band trip last June, and that means that they have blank slates. Whatever we do will make a huge impact on them, and that means I want to do things right.

The problem? There's five of us, and we all have very different interests. The even bigger problem? I'm not so sure they're going to just put their trust in me and my ability to get us around at Disney. It's a huge worry of mine that we'll get there and they'll all be so focused on what they want to do that things won't work out so everyone can do something that interests them. Disney is filled with so many spectacular things, and I know each of them like the back of my hand. Unfortunately, as much as they may want to disagree, they don't. Disney is my turf, at least in comparison to them, and when we go, I'm the Mama Swan that leads the little Ducklings (yes, I know baby Swans aren't called Ducklings but I just like The Ugly Duckling ok?). If they can find the ability to put their faith and trust in me, I completely trust myself to make the trip magical for them, and that's what I hope the end result will be.

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on September 25 due to a tight schedule).

No comments:

Post a Comment