Sunday, December 13, 2015

Day 1077: Am I The Interesting One?

We all know that I work really hard to keep my Ego in check. As a music major, and especially as a saxophone player, it's pretty easy for things to get a little over the top. But lately I've been trying to figure something out, and the more I think about it, the weirder it gets.

It all started when we were writing biographies for our classmates for Literary Theory and Writing. Instead of writing a biography for ourselves, especially when we already have an introduction that does almost the same thing, we wrote them for other people, which led to asking a bunch of questions and so on and so forth. Anyway, as I talked with my partner about my background and my goals and such, I realized that maybe, just maybe, I'm kind of interesting.

I don't really consider myself to be an interesting person. In fact, I figure I'm relatively ordinary. I grew up in a small town, I look forward to my coffee every morning, and spend most of my late nights at my desk working (although I would give anything for a Netflix binge and some pizza, especially pleasing if I can eat said pizza without my lactose intolerance getting in the way). As the saying goes, I put my pants on one leg at a time, just like anyone else.

But is my "ordinary" actually something the rest of the world considers extraordinary? Gosh, now I'm really starting to sound egotistical.

And then I had a discussion with one of my friends about people we know from high school, and as other went on about this friend doing this and that, I realized that I have very few friends who seem to be off doing really awesome things. But we all have friends like that on Facebook. And that's when it hit me: am I  the one off doing really awesome things? After all, in the matter of one year I've continued with a third year of straight blogging, started a roughly successful YouTube channel, met the creators of The Dust Storm, talked with Colin O'Donoghue on the phone, met my favorite saxophone player (again), went to Disney World twice and Disneyland once, met a bunch of my favorite YouTubers, and managed to balance it all alongside a busy college schedule. Of course, the fact that I plan on moving to a different state so I can pursue my dream of working for Disney doesn't hurt the whole "I'm interesting" thing either, but boy does it seem weird to be calling myself interesting.

After all, when everything boils down, I'm just another average Colin O'Donoghue and Harrison Ford fangirl who loves Star Wars and everything Disney and would give anything for a giant plate of homemade spaghetti and meatballs.

Have a magical day!


(Note: This blog post was written on December 22).

No comments:

Post a Comment