Thursday, December 17, 2015

Day 1081: The Force Has Awoken

WARNING! SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS ARE AHEAD!

Wow.

I was lucky enough to grab tickets to Star Wars on opening night, and I have to say that some of that I totally expected...and other parts of it sort of decreased my will to live (ok...really only one part). But overall, I honestly believe The Force Awakens is one of the greatest Star Wars films to date. Empire still beats it I think, because nothing will ever beat Empire, but this movie was just really, really, REALLY good.

I do have to mention that I laughed a lot more than I cried, although I did cry. One of the things I love about the original trilogy that the prequels just don't have is their ability to create humor within the characters that we already have. From 3P0 interrupting (again), to comments about Trash Compactors, Hand Holding, and the Force, this just felt like the Star Wars I know and love, and I think that's the highest title this film can get right about now.

Han, my dear Han, was brilliant to see on screen again. I knew the second he would appear, and I cheered when the Falcon flew again. I cried when he was lost, and I laughed at pretty much everything he said. And you know what, I didn't even really notice how old he is most of the time. Because he's HAN. SOLO. and that's awesome enough.

Let's see, what else?

BB-8 stole my heart, and the bromance between Finn and Poe is my new favorite thing. Rey is a super strong female character and I'm so thrilled to see her on screen. Kylo Ren defines a new sort of Sith that almost seems as evil as anything we've ever seen before. There's a lot of questions left, that's for sure, but I'm still sort of stuck in the "I can't believe I just watched a new Star Wars movie" phase. I figure I'll be here for a while.

If you haven't seen The Force Awakens yet and are for some reason reading this despite the spoiler warning, GO SEE THE FILM. And if you already saw it, even if you saw it more than once, GO SEE IT AGAIN. If you're interested in my experiences at the opening night at my local theater with my friends, I filmed it, and you can watch below!


Let me know what you thought of the new film in the comments below! 

Have a magical day! 


(Note: This blog post was written on December 22).

No comments:

Post a Comment