Saturday, December 19, 2015

Day 1083: Oh How I Love Han

WARNING! SPOILERS FOR STAR WARS EPISODE VII: THE FORCE AWAKENS ARE BELOW!

I can't wait for the day when I don't have to put giant spoiler warnings at the top of posts anymore...but really, you need to see the film before you find out what happens (although I'm sure that by now you either have to still be on interest hiatus or really good at avoiding them if you haven't seen the film yet).

Regardless, with the loss of a certain smuggler, it feels like I should do a brief celebration of my favorite Star Wars character. I'll certainly miss him, as I'm sure we all will, but I can also see, from a storytelling perspective, the benefits to his death. Wow that sounds terrible.

To remind you just how much I love Han Solo though, here's a quick graphic I made a while back:


As you can see, Han Solo is really my favorite character and is sort of more important than absolutely everything else. Did I happen to pick a character on OUAT that embodies every bit of the spirit that is Han Solo, yes, but that doesn't mean Han means any less. 

Of course, Harrison Ford is the king of priceless expressions, especially in Return of the Jedi, so I went back and found a picture from two years ago with a few of my favorites: 


You also can't deny that he had literally the best line in any movie ever: 


Honestly, I'm not even totally sure why Han Solo ended up as number one in so many of our hearts. He's just the space smuggler we all wanted to survive and end up happy. We wanted his relationship with Leia to work out (and it sounds like, to a point, it did). We wanted him to always fly the Falcon, preferably with the hyperdrive working, and hopefully someday beat his record of the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs. How he became our favorite, I'm not sure we'll ever really know. 


But one this is for sure, he IS our favorite, and now that he's gone we'll just have to remember him for all the wonderful moments he WAS there. Like the continuously hilarious lines in Episode VII, my favorite probably being the trash compactor line. It doesn't get much better than that. 

So farewell Han, our good friend and favorite smuggler of all time. You'll certainly be missed. 


Have a magical day! 


(Note: This blog post was written on December 22).


No comments:

Post a Comment