Monday, February 3, 2014

Day 399: Everyday Fairy Tales

I'm working my way backwards to catch up on my blog posts, so that means that although it's still February 4th for me, it's February 3rd on this blog post! So that's your FYI on what day I'm actually writing this.

But that doesn't mean that I'm not writing about something that DID happen to be on February 3rd, because I am. I've been talking about my Classic and Contemporary Fairy Tales Class a lot, and you had better get used to it, because I'm pretty sure it's only going to continue. I mean, it's kind of awesome to be able to talk about the fairy tales that Disney bases so much of its media off of!

Speaking of Disney though, and cultural references to Fairy Tales, my class just started a semester long contest to see who could find the most references to fairy tales in media such as television (there were quite a few commercials during the superbowl that had references!), movies, music and so on and so forth.

Of course, he briefly mentioned this last week, so I took it upon myself as a challenge before he even issued the actual challenge to find different references. I mean, that's basically what I'm doing with this blog, right? Just a bit more narrowed down. Here I look for Disney in general, any reference to a park or attraction or movie works. But now I'm looking only for Fairy tales. Doesn't sound too hard...and honestly, it's not!

Here's a list of some of the stuff that I found this weekend already:

1. Psych


Megan's roommate, Katie, has us watch Psych sometimes, and I genuinely enjoy the show. It's funny and everything, and since I only catch an episode here and there I'm pretty sure I'll eventually pull it up on Netflix and watch it there. But we were watching an episode the other day from the end of Season 2 called Black and Tan: A Crime of Fashion. In the episode, Shawn and Gus go to this Fashion party (sneak in) cause it's their night off and then there's a murder but Gus is like "No! I'm not working tonight!" and then there's this whole big deal about Cinderella, and how until Midnight it's their night off and they're not investigating the murder until the clock strikes twelve. I laughed and wrote it down as a Fairy Tale reference.

2. The Monster


I'm sure a lot of people have heard this one, especially if you listen to the radio as much as I do (ok, I really don't listen to it very often...only when I'm in my car and don't feel like singing Frozen). The song The Monster by Eminem featuring Rihanna comes on all the time, and honestly I only remember it because it mentions a fairy tale: Rumpelstiltskin! FYI, Rumpelstiltskin is really difficult to spell I've discovered.

It's near the end of the song, when he's like "Make that, straw into gold chump, I will spin, Rumpelstiltskin in a haystack." Made me laugh honestly, the first time I heard it. And then I think Megan was with me a later time and I was like "LISTEN!"

Yeah...I find Once references EVERYWHERE.


3. FBLA


The other day when I went to the FBLA competition, we spent the day at Kewaunee High School, and of course I was able to find some Fairytale references there too. The first one isn't totally a huge thing, but they do say "Magical Kingdom" and "Once Upon A Time." I figured that counted. I'm sure if you look closer at some of the little people the kids made you would find some fairy tale references too.



And then walking through the hallways I found this poster for this show they're doing: Sleeping Beauty and The Beast. Again, I'm not too sure how much this really counts, but I figure that it must count for something, right? I took a picture of it either way!


4. King Midas


This plays more into Greek Mythology, but there is a character on Once Upon A Time called King Midas, and Yes, he DOES turn stuff into Gold. Again, I figure this reference counted. My roommate facetimes her boyfriend who goes to a different college just about every night, and while I generally don't listen to what they're talking about, my ears generally automatically pick up on any Once or Disney reference that there may be. It just happens.

Well, I honestly don't know where the conversation started, but somewhere along the line they go to talking about King Midas and I think Prince Charming was mentioned in there too if I remember correctly. I just am positive they said King Midas.

And so, since I searched King Midas on Google to find the actual original story, I found this. Figured I would share it:


I just love the Muppets. Huh...I should rewatch some of those. I'm positive there are plenty of Fairy Tale references stuck in there. I mean, aside from the King Midas part of that video, Goldilocks was also mentioned! Either way, I AM GOING TO WIN THIS CONTEST! I WILL BE THE ULTIMATE FAIRY TALE SPOTTER! 

I'm excited. 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment