Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 417: FAF: Mad Tea Party

Since I'm currently in the middle of reading (or just finished actually) Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, I figured that for this week's Featured Attraction Friday we'd go with the WDW Attraction that fits right along with it: The Mad Tea Party! It's kind of hard because some of the attractions I'm talking about that relate specifically to one of the fairy tales we're reading I haven't read the original story yet (Peter Pan for instance), but this one I HAVE read!


What's On The Map: 


"Pour yourself into an oversized teacup and twirl quickly or slowly amid a menagerie of color and sound. Celebrate your "un-birthday" in Wonderland as you sail back and forth around a towering teapot beneath a windswept party of paper lanterns, as festive music fills the air."

"Mad Tea Party is inspired by the Mad Hatter's party sequence in Walt Disney's animated classic Alice in Wonderland. Modeled after the original 1955 Disneyland park attraction of the same name, Mad Tea Party features the same resplendent floral colors, wacky architectural flourishes and objects of disproportionate size as seen in the movie. Today, some incarnation of the attraction exists at every Disney theme park around the world" (WDW Website).

A Brief History Lesson: 


Today's History comes from Disney Park History!

The tea cups were an opening day Fantasyland attraction at every Disney theme park except Tokyo Disneyland. The Disneyland version is the only version that does not have a roof over it to keep out the rain and sun, although Magic Kingdom's did not have a roof either until 1974, three years after the park opened. Disneyland's tea cups were original in the castle courtyard where the King Arthur Carousel now sits, but were moved to their current location near Matterhorn Mountain during the 1983 Fantasyland renovation.

Thought the ride is found in all five of Disney's Fantasylands, the ride's name does differ slightly. In Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Park, it is called Mad Tea Party, while in Disneyland Paris it is called Mad Hatter's Tea Cups, In Hong Kong Disneyland it is Mad Hatter Tea Cups and in Tokyo Disneyland it is Alice's Tea Party.


Fun Facts: 


Today's Fun Facts come from the Disney Wikia!


  • Three small turntables, which rotate counter clock-wise, each holding six teacups, within one large turntable, rotating clockwise, make up the attraction. 
  • The Dormouse can be seen popping his head out of a large teapot in the middle of the large turntable. This occurs only at Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland, as the other parks do not feature a central teapot. 
  • The original attraction at Disneyland is unable to run in the rain, once the turntables are saturated with a moderate amount of water they slip and can no longer spin. All other versions of this attraction are covered to prevent such situations, as well as protect riders from extreme heat and sun. 

My Thoughts: 


Like many of the other attractions on Featured Attraction Friday, I haven't ridden this one in a while. I have an actual great excuse this time though! You see, I have some serious motion sickness problems, so spinning around and around in a teacup does not sound like a pleasant time. In fact, when I am getting video for the band trip of the attraction I won't be on it at all! It will actually be one of my friends, taking the camera and recording while on the attraction for me! 

But aside from the fact that I can't really go on it, I do love how adorable it is, especially the Disneyland version. I think it's because I'm so used to seeing it with a top, but not having one at Disneyland is pretty awesome (even if it can't run in the rain). I actually also saw someone who made a Dapper Day Dress to match the tea cups and it is seriously the most brilliant dress I have ever seen. If I see it again I'll be sure to share it with you guys! 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment