Thursday, February 13, 2014

Day 409: FAF: Peter Pan's Flight

This week we're going to do Featured Attraction Friday a day early, since I've got something planned for tomorrow that I want to have actually on Valentine's Day. So here we are, with our second attraction in the Fairy Tale February theme: Peter Pan's Flight!

I haven't actually read Peter Pan in class yet (gosh I can't wait for that one...I'm going to enjoy it too much), so I can't say much on that sort of topic, but hey, that's ok! 



What's On The Map: 


Fly with Peter Pan aboard a magical ship (Walt Disney World Map)! "Journey to the Darling children's nursery and behold the first meeting of Wendy, Michael, John...and Peter Pan. Sail through the nighttime sky over London, where famous sites like Big Ben and Tower Bridge mingle with a confection of glittering lights. Then, descend into Never Land, home to volcanic peaks and sparkling waterfalls. Once there, glimpse the Lost Boys and Mermaid Lagoon and sail past Skull Rock. Swoop into Pirate's Cove, home to an enormous pirate ship, and behold Peter Pan in a swashbuckling duel with Captain Hook" (WDW Website). 


A Brief History Lesson: 


Today's History comes from the Insights and Sounds Blog

"Dark Rides were a staple of amusement piers from Coney Island on the East Coast to various locations dotting much of California. Some were scary, some held promises of love or at least affection, but all of them held a certain mystique to paying customers as they could only guess at the wonders within the building they saw. This medium fit the Disney team perfectly."

"Fantasyland's courtyard would hold these smaller but still innovative adventures. Since the film was one of the most recent Disney hits, Peter Pan was prime for exploitation." 

"The actual attraction, however, was filled with lavish and sometimes expensive little details that others might deem unnecessary. Loving creation of the attraction - including a unique ride system whose cars were ornate pirate ships suspended from a track in the building's ceiling - rightfully enchanted guests from the very first flight." 

"Peter Pan's Flight was so iconic, it had to be duplicated in Florida's Walt Disney World and its Magic Kingdom. Sure, other dark rides unique to Florida's theme park were considered, but nothing past or present has held its own with the undisputed champion."

Fun Facts: 


  • Remember to look around before your ship flies out the nursery window. Watch for the building blocks near Wendy's bed and just under the window, which spell out P Pan and Disney.
Just that one this week I guess. =)



My Thoughts: 


I actually haven't been on Peter Pan's Flight for some time. Funny, now, that my favorite character on Once Upon A Time is Hook himself, and I have a complete new appreciation for the story. I guess when I was growing up I really liked Peter Pan Return to Neverland almost more than the original. Not sure why though. I think it may have been the music though (although it's great in both films!) 

Either way, you can bet that I'll be going on Peter Pan's flight on BOTH of my upcoming trips. And yes, I am quite excited that we may go meet Captain Hook...even if this version does have a waxed mustache and perm...and that is most certainly not my thing (are they bad though?) 

Have a magical day!


No comments:

Post a Comment